1|Reality

Engrossed with the view in front of me, I thought about what my life has become. Most of the time I would find myself sitting on a ledge overlooking the small town. I hardly let myself cry but there were just days which I needed to let it all out.

This was my reality. I had no one, I was used to being alone I've grown to accept that. The only person that I had was my mother and she's gone.

I had seen and done things that tainted me in every way possible, I am too damaged for anyone to want me. I've grown to accept who I have become because I need to be strong for myself. I want more than to be the mute girl in this small shitty town in Montana. Although I am mute by choice, people don't know what lead to this. Once I realize that I can't change anything, I knew that I wanted to allow myself to feel normal.

Once I snapped out of my daze I realized that the sun was setting, and I needed to get back to my current foster home. This home wasn't as bad as my previous ones. They aren't really in my business as long as I stay out of their way they do the same for me.

~

Getting closer to "home" I notice that the people from the neighborhood are out of their houses murmuring about something. It was October so it was pretty chilly and people didn't like being outside their homes, so I knew something has caught their eyes. If there is one thing I learned from living here is that people love to gossip and be all up in others' business.

I get in front of the house and I see the sheriff's car. I thought to myself what the hell is going on here. The sheriffs knew who I was everyone did, so when I saw sheriff Jackson came up to me with a lady with blonde hair I knew something was up.

"Anastasia, you are going to go here with Miss Lila she is from Child Protective Services." Sheriff Jackson spoke flatly. I turned my head to see Miss Lila giving me a sympathetic look. She wasn't my usual caseworker.

"Follow me, Anastasia." She spoke motioning me to her 2017 Nissan Altima.

I got into the passenger seat, and she told me briefly why I was going with her. Basically, CPS and the whole foster system of Montana had gotten into trouble because of the abuse and neglect especially children in foster homes. To fix that they send their best caseworkers to handle the 'difficult' cases considering I had been in more than 30 homes all over the state of Montana.

We arrived at her home basically I would be living with her until they found me a suitable and more permanent living arrangement. She told me that first, she would look extensively for any living relatives by using my DNA. As far as I knew I didn't have any, but then again my parents kept a lot of secrets.

I was put into the system when I was 10 years ago 1 year after my mother had passed away. My dad became unhinged after that. He gave up all parental rights to me after putting me through hell. The one thing I will never forget was when he said.

'Not even your own mother wanted you.'

That brought up a lot of questions, but they were left unanswered. It was because of him that I no longer speak. I can't find it in me to utter a single word without feeling disgusted and guilty.

~

I have been with Miss Lila for about a week and things were going well. She's been really busy with my case she hasn't told me about any leads yet.

I just want to turn 18 and leave this shitty town and do what I want.

I was laying in the twin bed in her guest bedroom when she suddenly barges in with the biggest smile. She was a really nice and wholesome person.

"We found your family!"

-not edited
Please comment and vote!