eight

A toddler in my group, the small girl with a head of curls whose name I can't remember at this particular second, let's put a loud screech that sends chills up my spine.

"Honey," I keep my voice soft as I approach her, ears near bleeding. "Honey, what's wrong?"

I direct her away from the snack table where Annie, the other assistant, is sticking straws through juice boxes as quickly as she can. The Room Coordinator, an older woman named Tabby, came down with a serious cold after being caught on the water during a storm. So while my first week was supposed to be training, I was instead thrown into my duties full-swing.

Doing my best to be helpful and anticipate what Annie needed from me, I went home exhausted every day this week. It's Thursday, so Tabby should be better by next week, but another few hours of this will run me ragged for the weekend. Fifteen toddlers doesn't seem like a lot, but when you're short staffed ... it's like they could sense our nerves and knew it was time to revolt.

This week alone had more tantrums than most months, Annie said.

I kneel before the girl, but she doesn't offer any comprehensible words, instead she opens her little mouth and lets out another wail. Beside her, another girl, Olivia, I think, puts her hands over her ears. Her chin puckers and her eyes well with tears before she finally breaks down in sobs.

"Oh, don't cry, Olivia." I rub her back in slow circles, pulling the curly-haired girl into my lap, too. She lets out another whimper before tucking her head into my neck and shoving her thumb into her mouth.

Finally, Olivia settles and rejoins the table for her crackers. The one in my lap doesn't budge and I don't try to move, afraid to reawaken her screaming-instinct.

"Jade did that last summer, too." Annie finally comes beside me, tossing some dirty napkins in the trash. Taking a seat in one of the tiny toddler chairs, she shrugs her shoulders. "I don't think it's really discouraged at home."

Jade is her name, I remember that now. I run my hands over her soft curls, feeling her slow, deep breaths as she inhales against my chest.

"Sometimes we all just need a hug." I mutter softly. "Jade?"

The girl tilts her head up to me, her small thumb still in between her lips.

"Do you want a snack?" I try to shift her off my lap and towards the table but she shakes her head frantically. "Okay," I concede, feeling the pins and needles spreading up my calves.

Finn, the boy in the sandbox that I watched before my interview, stands from the table and approaches Annie and me.

"What do you need, Finn?" Annie asks kindly, an annoyed undertone only slightly detectable. "Remember we sit on our bums during snack time."

Finn nods his little head, his dark hair messy around his round face. His green eyes are so innocent and wide as he lifts his hands, presenting us with a juice box and a pack of crackers.

"For Jade." He says simply, bending at the knees to place the snack on the floor in front of me.

"Finn, that was so nice of you." I praise him before Annie can say anything. "Thank you. Jade, what do we say?"

In her wobbly voice, Jade mumbles a soft "Tank you." and Finn waddles away, contentedly taking his seat with the other kids. Annie busies herself collecting trash and getting the floor ready for nap time while I continue to soothe Jade and overlook the tables.

When the kids are finally down for naptime, I sneak from the room and make a call to Grams home phone.

"Grams, just me. How's everything?" I whisper, peering through the door. Annie is setting the nap music now but not all the kids are completely asleep.

"Fine, Dylan. Like they were earlier. And yesterday." She laughs. "All week, in fact."

"Well like I said, next week I'll be over during breaks. We're just so busy this week." I run a hand through my ponytail, feeling the fly-away hairs sticking up around my face. And what is that stickiness on my cheek?

"Don't worry. Luke's been by every day, anyhow."

Don't remind me. I clench my jaw and roll my eyes to the ceiling.

"That's great." I grunt through my teeth, making her promise that she doesn't need anything before I sneak back into the room.

The rest of the afternoon passes in a blur. Between story time and collecting everyone's belongings to end the day, Annie and I barely had time to think. Glancing at the clock on the wall, I take a seat in one of the bean bags on the mat.

"Annie, why don't you head home?" I offer, eyes finding Finn quietly coloring in the corner. Annie's been checking her phone every few seconds for the past hour. "I'll stay till Finn gets picked up."

"His mom always does this." She rolls her eyes, already collecting her things. "No call, no show. Kinda flakey."

"I don't mind." I say, ignoring her latest negative comment.

"Really?" She throws her purse over her shoulder, barely looking back as she leaves. "Thanks!"

When the door clicks closed, Finn pops his head up at the sound. Joining him at the table, I pick up a crayon and piece of paper.

"Whatcha drawing, Finn?"

Thanks for reading loves! Finn 🥰

Finn 🥰