3.01

The next morning, the interns stood outside the bathroom door, Izzie having locked herself inside

"Izzie, Izzie, come on!" Alex called out.

"Ok, she's been in there all night, we have to do something."

"Yeah." All the interns agreed, Helena with her eyes closed as she thought through the situation.

"Why are you all looking at us?" The blond complained, making Helena's eyes open to find her friends staring at her and Meredith.

"Well, this is familiar territory for you two." Cristina explained, Helena's brows furrowing.

"There is nothing familiar about this. Unfamiliar. Denny died. The man she loves died." The blond responded.

"Why me? I'm happy and nice and... and smiley!" Helena's voice became high pitched.

"Yeah, but you know how to deal with dark and twisty, Baby Genius. You make dark and twisty... light and, and... fluffy." The Asian woman explained, making Helena giggle slightly. "See?"

"Dark and twisty?" Meredith complained.

"The mother with Alzheimer's thing and the father you don't talk to." Cristina explained.

"And the tequila thing and the inappropriate men." Alex added.

"You are dark and twisty inside, Meredith, and now Izzie is too." George told her.

"So now, all of the sudden, I'm the president of people with crappy lives?" The owner of the house complained.

"We do need to do something. I'm... I'm going in there." George answered.

——

As the three girls sat in the kitchen, Meredith made sandwiches.

"Why are we making sandwiches?" Cristina asked, flipping through a magazine.

"It's what you do when someone dies. You cook." The blond answered.

"Yeah, I know what to do when someone dies. I am a Jew, I know food and death. It's Shivah." The Asian woman told her.

"Is it Shivah even if she's catholic?" Helena butted in.

"Well, Shivah's what I know what to do, so yeah, it's Shivah. But if we're sitting Shivah for Denny then we should order in, because making sandwiches is not the same as cooking."

"Sandwiches are comfort food." Meredith took a big bite off a sandwich.

"I should make soup, do I make soup after my shift?" Helena asked, turning to Meredith. "What's wrong with you?"

"Everything with me is fine, it's Izzie we're worried about."

"Liar." The brunette accused in a sing songy manner.