13

It turned out Karl had not been joking.

Two days later, you received an email from the one and only Mr. Beast, inviting you to come to their next video shoot - one of their famous games of hide and seek for prize money, this time 100,000 dollars. Just looking at the number written out had made you nervous to accept, but after Karl had gotten you in, it would be rude to say no. 

So, you replied to the email, and made sure to take off work next Wednesday. There was no option in the timesheet for once in a lifetime opportunity, so you just put down that you had a family event. 

It was sort of like that, right?

Still, there were other issues to be taken care of. Namely, how you were going to get there. 

You were sitting at your usual table in the food court, having ordered a few slices of pizza for you and Noah to share, scrolling through Instagram as you waited. You were sure Noah was going to freak out once you told her...

You glanced up as a familiar mop of curly pink hair made it's way over to you, plopping down on the other side of the table. She grinned, reaching forward to slide a slice of pizza off the tray and into her hands. "Olives?"

"Two slices with olives, to without." You said. 

"Gosh," Noah sighed. "You know me so well. We should get married."

You laughed, raising one of your eyebrows as you claimed one of the non-olives slices for yourself. "You're in a good mood... something happen?"

Noah shrugged conspiratorially. "Maybe."

"Tell me!" You said, leaning forward excitedly. 

"You remember the girl who works at the piercings kiosk." Noah said. 

You nodded. 

"Well," She dragged out the word. "She came to visit me this morning, and she gave me her number."

"Oooh!" You said, tapping your nails on the table excitedly. "Noah that's so good! Did you get her name?"

"Destiny." Noah sighed dreamily. "She's so pretty... she put new beads in her braids."

You smiled, happy for your friend. "I hope it works out, that would be so nice."

"You never know." Noah shrugged. "She might be a secret gajillionaire youtuber in disguise."

You laughed, rolling your eyes. "It wasn't like a secret secret, he was just worried I would think it was weird." You paused to take a bite of your pizza. "Speaking of though, could you do me a favor?"

"Yeah, what's up?" Noah said, moving on to the second olive slice. 

"Do you think you could drop me off somewhere before you go to work next Wednesday?" You asked. 

"Yeah, you got an appointment or something?" She asked. 

"Um... sort of?" You said, nibbling at the crust of your slice. 

Noah narrowed her eyes, calculating. You could see the wheels turning in her head. After a second, her eyes widened, and a grin began to play on her lips. 

"You're meeting up with Karl, aren't you?" She asked teasingly, waggling her eyebrows. 

You giggled, hiding your face behind your hand. "Dude, stop, we're not fifteen-"

"OoooOoOooHhh KaRL-!"

"Noah!" You exclaimed, bursting out into a fit of laughter. "It's not going to be like, just us, it's for a thing!"

"A thing?" Noah asked. "What kind of thing?"

You paused, biting your lip. "...He kind of invited me to be on a Mr. Beast video?"

Noah froze, her eyes open wide, an expression of pure surprise etched across her face. It took her a moment before she blinked and spluttered, looking to you for validity. "What, really?"

You nodded. 

"Dude!" Noah exclaimed, reaching across the table to punch you in the shoulder. "Why would you not tell me that the moment I sat down, what the hell, that is so cool, of course I'll give you a ride - wait, what's the video?"

"Hide and seek for 100,000 dollars." You said. 

Noah rested her forehead on the table and sighed. "How did you manage to find someone who's cute and nice and funny and rich by chance?"

"Hey, Destiny seems really nice too." You said.

"I know." Noah groaned. "She's so pretty it hurts."

"Listen," You said. "If I win the game by some extreme amount of luck, I'll give you some of the money."

Noah's head popped back up. "Bro... you have a chance to win 100,000 dollars. With your scholarship, that could wipe your tuition out and you would still have loads left over."

It hit you then, exactly what Karl had done for you. You had the opportunity to win an insane amount of money, while just having some good simple fun. A hundred thousand dollars could pay for rent, for school - hell, you could get a car and Noah wouldn't have to drive you to work everyday. Hell, you could quit your job.

A hundred thousand dollars was a lot of money. 

Noah must have seen you thinking, because she smiled. "Don't tell me you just  realized that you could win 100,000 dollars."

You rolled your eyes. "I didn't just realize... I was just thinking about how that's like, a lot of money."

"Yeah, that's a lot of money." Noah said, leaning back in her chair and pulling out her phone. 

There was a pause in the conversation then, and the noise of the food court seeped into your little bubble. A hundred thousand dollars and you would never have to come back here if you wanted to...

Your phone pinged, and you picked it up, seeing a notification from Noah. It was a link, and you clicked on it, following it to an article. 

25 Hide and Seek Strategies that will Guarantee Your Win.

You glanced up over the edge of your phone to see Noah, still kicked back in her chair, scrolling peacefully. "Did you just send me an article about hide and seek strategies?"

Noah glanced up. "Yeah."

You laughed. "Noah-"

"Just in case you wanted to read up on it!" She said. "You know, a hundred thousand dollars on the line, I just thought-"

"I'm going because Karl asked me to, not because of the money!" You said. 

"Well, I mean, money never hurt anybody-"

"Noah." You laughed. "Just shut up."