chapter forty-two

I see Harry's jaw tighten slightly at the sight of Ron with Lavender and Hermione turns her head away from the two, more tears start falling down her cheeks.

"Oops!" Lavender exclaims in her sickly sweet voice, "I think this room's taken." Her jewellery jangle together as she grabs Ron's arm, staring dreamily into his eyes. She then runs off, expecting Ron to follow him, but he just stands there.

He smiles and, completely unaware of Hermione's red, weepy eyes, says, "What's with the birds?" Hermione stands up, anger written all across her face as she glares at Ron. "Oppugno." 

All the birds then fly directly at Ron, all in a line, at a very rapid speed. Ron just manages to dodge the birds as they slam into the wall, bursting into clumps of feathers. Ron walks away bewildered and Hermione starts to sob.

"Come here, darling," I say softly, holding out my arm. She takes my hand and holds it close to her chest as she sits down. Me and Harry both pull Hermione into a warm embrace and it is the worst feeling in the world; Hermione is such a loving and kind soul, so seeing her this distraught is horrible. "It's alright, Hermione," Harry adds, stroking her hair supportively.

About three days pass and it's now the day of Slughorn's Christmas Party.

"He's at perfect liberty to kiss whoever he likes," Hermione says angrily as she places books back onto bookshelves in the library, several studying students looking up from their notes at the noise, "I really couldn't care less."

Me and Harry follow Hermione and listen to her rant, a slow fall of snow trickling down the window panes. Christmas is getting closer by the moment and I cannot wait to be back at the Burrow with everyone again.

"Was I under the impression he and I would be attending Slughorn's Christmas party together? Yes. Now, given the circumstances, I've had to make other arrangements," she continues, placing her final book in it's allocated place. 

"Well, who are you going with now?" I ask, interlacing my hand with Harry's as we stop, leaning on the nearby desks. She looks away for a brief moment before saying that it's a 'surprise'. "I'm glad that you two are going with each other though, have you heard the rumours about Romilda?" Hermione adds in a hushed voice. I nod my head, but Harry shakes his.

I turn around so I'm right in front of Harry and subtly motion behind me. "That's Romilda Vane. Rumours are that she's trying to smuggle you a love potion," I explain, as Harry looks at the girl with wide, surprised eyes. "Hey!" I exclaim, snapping my fingers in front of his face, "She's only interested in you because she thinks your the Chosen One."

"But I am the Chosen One," Harry says in a cheeky tone, which receives a slap to the head with Hermione's newspaper. "Okay, sorry! Kidding," he replies, rubbing his head slightly which makes me chuckle. 

"Come on, we'd all better go and get ready. We can all walk down to the party together, yeah?" Harry and Hermione nod, so we all make our way back to the Gryffindor Common Room to get ready for the party.

-

I look in the bathroom mirror and smooth down the skirt of my dress, making sure nothing is wrinkled or creased. I run my fingers gently through my curled hair and double check no makeup is smudged or ruined. Satisfied, I step back and take one more look in the mirror. 

"That'll do," I whisper as I leave, closing the door behind me

"That'll do," I whisper as I leave, closing the door behind me. I start to make my way towards where the party is being held, decorations strung on the walls and on the ceiling. Streamers, balloons and tinsel galore, the halls of Hogwarts truly feel like Christmas - which is right around the corner - now. 

As I turn a corner, I see Harry waiting in the hallway, his black dress robes on and his hair combed back neatly. I grin, silently sneak over and jump on his back, my hands covering his eyes as a slight grunt leaves his lips. 

"Guess who?" I ask, trying to hold back my laughter. Harry scratches his head, pretending to think. "Uhh... Luna?" He replies, before we both burst into laughter. "Nope, wrong answer," I chuckle as I slide off his back, letting him turn around and we see each other in our outfits. 

"That dress looks lovely on you," he compliments, a subtle blush dusting his cheeks. I smile and compliment his dress robes in return. He smiles and holds out his hand, which I immediately take and we walk towards the party, the red balloons casting a warm glow on the floor. 

Once we walk inside, we see the entire room thoroughly decorated and some light Christmas music playing from a record player. "Harry, my boy!" Slughorn exclaims as he walks over to us both. I quickly say hello before I let Harry talk alone with him and I look around the room, trying to spot someone.

"Drinks?" I turn around to see Neville, sharply dressed in white with his hair slicked back, holding a small tray of glasses. "Neville! Did you not make it into the Slug club?" I reply, getting a small, sad nod from him. I smile and take a drink. "It's alright, it's nothing special anyway. You have a good evening though, okay?"

He nods, his smile now slightly happier as he walks away to serve other guests. I take a sip of my drink and almost spit it out when I see Hermione scuffle through some curtains, as if she's trying to hide from someone. 

I place my drink on a nearby table and walk over to her, Harry joining me when he sees her too. "What are you doing, Hermione?" I ask, seeing her anxiously rub her arms. "I've just escaped," she replies, "I mean... I left Cormac under the mistletoe."