Thirty-Seven || Disappearing Act

|| Disappearing Act

When Braeden brought her bike to a standstill, they were on an overlook like the one that resided in Beacon Hills. Both she and Scott walked to the edge, their destination below.

"La Iglesia," Braeden said, looking out on sun scorched remains.

"What happened here?"

"An earthquake," she told him. "It leveled the town."

Scott pointed a little, "Why is the church still standing?"

Among the ruins of a once great town towered a church, old in architecture and grand in size.

"The locals think it's because what's underneath."

Scott couldn't stop staring at it, "Do I wanna know?"

"The church was built over the ruins of an Aztec temple. It belonged to a people called the nagual."

"Shapeshifters."

"Werejaguars."

Scott's brows lifted, anxiety and concern swirling within. "So Derek and Kate are somewhere in there?"

"I don't know." Braeden had almost a pleased look on her face. "Never gotten this far before."

"That's comforting."

||

Given another half hour, the Jeep was still not fixed.

Stiles worked, holding tools between his teeth as he tried to bring his baby back to life.

"Maybe we should just walk," Lydia suggested, the sun lowering slowly.

"Hey," he took the screwdriver out of his mouth, "I will never abandon this Jeep. You understand me? Never. Never."

"That's an understatement," Jacy softly said, sure she was about to die from boredom. She found herself walking in front of the car, something playing at her senses - a warning that they weren't safe. "Work faster, Stiles. There's something out here with us."

Stiles and Lydia exchanged a look, their Jeep situation now the least of their troubles.

Kira furrowed her eyebrows, "Jacy, I think your phone is going off." She moved, reaching into the backseat of the Jeep.

"How do you even have service?" Lydia asked as Jacy was handed her cell.

"I don't know." Jacy grew concerned, her mom's contact across the screen. "Mom? Is something wrong?"

"Honey..."

Jacy stopped cold, knowing that tone exactly. "Mom, what is it? What's wrong?"

"...It's your brother."

"What happened to him?" She'd risen her voice, but she didn't care that her friends had looked at her strangely.

"There was an accident."

Jacy winced at the words, "Is he okay?" Her voice went nearly void. "Is he alive?"

"Yes, yes he's alive," Olivia assured. "It's just he, um...he doesn't remember anything."

Jacy's lips parted, "He what?"

"Stilinski called me last night. They found Jordan unconcious at the edge of the woods. Nothing seemed wrong with him, physically, but when he woke up about an hour ago, he didn't know who he was."