Chapter 4-4

"Wuh-What?" My eyes widened while my mouth stumbled over the words. A quick glance to Cole's gray-toned skin, gaping mouth, and glassy eyes showed he looked like he was going to be sick. "They're not here!?"

"No," Fenris's voice thickened with strain as his dark eyes darted between us. "Were they supposed to arrive sooner?"

'Don't tell them we went separate,' Cole warned me. 'Fenris is a direct feed to your father.'

Fenris' eyes studied both of us, so I didn't respond. Instead, I wet my dry lips with the tip of my tongue. "They left a few hours before us because I asked to spend a little more time with Alpha Stephan's family," I offered. "Yes, they should've been here."

"I'm going out there," Cole's voice laced with concern as a frantic look took over his brown eyes.

With rushed steps, he got halfway to the car when I stopped him. "Cole, you can't." I reached out and grabbed his shoulder, rock hard with tension. "You're in no shape to drive."

Stalling, I didn't even believe my own words, 'I'm sure she's fine.'

"I can't do nothing!" Shrugging off my hand, he changed his movement to angry pacing.

An unusual amount of emotion slipped into Cole's voice, mirrored by his eyes pulling wide. 'I can't hear her, Zara. Or feel her.'

"Alpha Fenris." My gaze shifted back to our host. "Is there somewhere Cole could go for a run? We've been in the car for three days, I think it'll do him some good to... stretch his legs."

"Of course, behind the packhouse." He nodded at the entrance doors. "Come inside, get settled."

"I think someone might need that run sooner than later." My eyes tracked Cole, who's irises now blazed a bright yellow as Sable fought him for control. A ripple spread over his skin like a miniature earthquake and he growled.

Alpha Fenris' eyes glazed over for a moment, then Beta Niran reappeared in the doorway. After a curt nod from Fenris, Niran directed Cole to the edge of the driveway, where both shifted and Sable tore off with a snarl.

That was... kinda awkward. Poor Cole.

"His mate is in one of those cars." At the admission of Elena, a lump welled up in the back of my throat. Desperate for a distraction, I nodded at the car. "I'll get us unpacked, do you have anyone who could park the car?"

"Of course." Alpha Fenris mindlinked someone, then a short, thin girl with flowing black hair appeared at the entrance. By her similar features to Tobias, and Luna Diana's reaction, I assumed she was Meredith.

"There she is." Diana's face broke into her first genuine smile and she extended her arms.

"Hi Meredith." I hoped my smile was polite as I stepped closer.

Meredith shared her brother's sentiments, or manners, as her face screwed up into the same scowl. Her dark eyes flashed over my appearance and she heaved a loud sigh.

"Do we really have to entertain this... insanity?" She spat out the words like they put a bad taste in her mouth.

"Meredith!" Alpha Fenris scolded. "That is no way to treat our guests. Help Miss Zara get her things and show her to her room."

I flashed up my palms in an innocent gesture. "No, I -"

"Now."

Alpha Fenris wasn't kidding around, rolling waves of aggression off him. A chill in the air raised goosebumps down my arms and my spine trembled at the insistence he threw into one word.