Chapter 20

Day: 317 (Food Drop-Off)

Days Left: 5163

Lives Saved: 1

Princess Alfreda lounged upon an elegant sofa, wafting a large decorative paper fan. In the small section of the darkness that she was in, hung several lit lanterns and floating candles. Even in her mind, Alfreda's surroundings had to be over the top.

Queen Corinna IX summoned an image of her throne in an empty space and sat on it.

With a snap of her fingers, Alfreda made the seat disappear, causing her sister to fall onto the floor.

Scowling behind her mask, the queen also snapped her fingers, and a torrent of freezing cold water plummeted onto Alfreda.

Screeching, the princess quickly reminded her brain that none of it was real, then magicked herself warm and dry again. She allowed the queen to resummon her throne and sit on it.

Alfreda's expression soon soured. She sighed. "Still wearing that thing?" she asked, motioning to the white, featureless, porcelain mask that Corinna IX wore.

"You did not invite Us here just to insult Our taste in fashion," replied the queen.

"Oh, I would totally do that," the princess laughed. "But no, you are quite right. This is about something else."

The queen paused. "We did not think you would ever desire to speak to Us."

"After imprisoning me in the Abyss?" Alfreda wafted her fan dismissively. "I would have done exactly the same thing as you did, little Cori. You just got there faster than I. But that doesn't mean I'm not bitter about it." She smirked, leaning back in her seat. "I will get my revenge someday, and it will be you down here in my place."

"Is that so?"

"Oh, that day will come, sister," said Alfreda. "And in preparation, what sort of story did you concoct to explain my absence? Did you at least give me a tragic death? A heartfelt eulogy?"

"No, you are still alive."

Alfreda smirked. "Am I now? And how did you manage that when no one can see me? Your illusion spells aren't that potent. Or did you brainwash everyone?"

"We used one of mother's golems and replicated your image-"

The princess cackled then her expression soured. "As if anyone would believe in such a fake. Mother was far ahead in her field, but she wasn't perfect."

"Everyone was easily fooled by it."

"Well, Sophia would definitely have seen through it," Alfreda scoffed. "You probably dressed me in some horrible, tasteless, and tacky outfit."

"Yes, We did," said Queen Corinna. "It was from your wardrobe."

Scowling, the princess changed the subject, unable to retort with an insult quick enough. "And how was mother and father's death anniversaries?" she asked casually. "Did you put on a good performance?"

The queen did not respond at first. She hesitated, then finally asked, "were you... upset when mother died?"

Alfreda frowned, her lips slightly parting as she processed the question. She then cocked her head back and replied, "not at all."

"Really..." Cori grew silent.

"What made you bring up that all of a sudden?"

"Family... they're supposed to be people that we love and care about. Surely, we should feel something when they are gone?"