20

A few hours later, you were in Mexico.

The flight hadn't been too bad - with Karl and Noah to keep you company, it had been all too easy to get wrapped up in the light conversation about which Avenger was really the best (Noah said Iron Man, Karl was a firm Captain America fan) and forget about the kids crying in the background and the annoying snoring of the old woman in front of you. 

Still, even talking about superheros couldn't stop you from drifting off in the middle of the flight. You woke up when the plane was about to land, slumped against Karl's shoulder. 

"Sorry for passing out on you." You had said, still slightly asleep. 

"Not a big deal." Karl had assured you, gently smoothing your hair back to some semblance of neat. 

You got a look from Noah at that - a mischievous smile and a raised eyebrow - but it didn't matter because this boy was so adorable it hurt sometimes. 

Getting through customs and baggage claim was the hassle it usually was, but once you were out, Karl called a cab to the resort and you were on your way to sunny beaches and soft waves. 

You leaned against the window, watching the scenery roll by. You had never been to Mexico before, nor did you know much about it, but already, the scenery was beautiful. Somehow, nature seemed richer here - the leaves on the trees were thicker, and the underbrush was more colorful. Perhaps that was just because you were near the coast though.

Karl (who had called dibs on the shotgun seat immediately) turned around from the front seat. "What do you think?" He asked. 

"It's beautiful." You said honestly. 

Karl beamed. "Wait 'til we get to the place we're staying. It's one of the top resorts in the whole country. I figured I might as well since I've got a lot to blow on this trip, you know?"

Noah huffed out a laugh from the seat next to you. "Rich people."

The rest of the ride to the resort wasn't too long, but by the end, the energy of just landing and trying to soak up as much of the place as you could was wearing off, and the groggy tiredness from flying was just starting to set in. 

The cab rolled to a stop by the curb, Noah popped open the door, stepping out into the sunlight. You slid across the seats and got out as well, the glare making you squint for a moment before your eyes adjusted to the light. 

When they did, you were met with a grand building - all columns and archways and large windows, sloping rooves and alcoves, covered in tropical flowers. It looked like an extremely large villa, and you could hear the sea from behind it. It was beautiful. 

"Karl, this is..." You started. 

Karl. beside you, was bouncing happily, as he was prone to do. "I know!" He said. "I wanted something nice, and this place looked really good - the website said they do fancy dinners and events and things to, so we have that option if we want."

Noah leaned over to you. "If it doesn't work out between you and Karl, I'm stealing him."

Someone came out of the place to get your bags and you headed inside, following Karl to the check in. On the inside, the place was ever fancier - the lobby had a waterfall that came down from the ceiling with glittery fish swimming around in the pool underneath. 

Karl checked in and took the keys, following the man with all your bags upstairs. Along the way, you took in the rest of the resort - you passed a ballroom and a few restaurant places, as well as a spa, an arcade, and a place where you could rent sailboats. It was like an entire town in one building. 

Eventually, you came to a stop outside your room as Karl unlocked the door for the man with the bags. He opened the door and held it as you walked in.

On the other side was a living room of sorts - sofas gathered around a table, potted palms, paintings of the ocean and a glass door to a balcony with breezy curtains. Doors lead off from the room as well - the bathroom and bedrooms, you supposed. 

"There's a room for each of us- thanks." Karl nodded to the man who had brought up your bags as he left. 

Noah darted off into the room to her left. "I want this one!"

You grinned and grabbed your bags, taking them to one of the rooms that connected to the balcony, dropping them on the bed. "Dibs!"

It was a simple room - white bedding, white side tables, a closet and some potted plants - but it looked familiar in the way all hotel and resort rooms did, and the bed was enticing after a flight. You should unpack first though, or you knew you would never get to it. 

You were just cracking open your suitcase when Karl walked in. 

"So?" He asked, plopping down on the edge of your bed. 

"It's beautiful, Karl." You said. "I can't thank you enough."

"You don't have to thank me at all - I'm just happy you and Noah came." He said with a smile, watching you put your things into the closet. 

"When is your friend going to get here?" You asked. "I really would like to meet him."

"Tomorrow." Karl said. "I kind of feel bad that we took both the rooms with the balcony, but he'll get over it. You snooze you lose."

So Karl was in the other room with balcony access. You grabbed a hangar and slipped it into one of your shirts before sticking it back in the closet. 

Karl yawned and flopped backwards, sprawling on the bed. "I could really use a nap."

"You didn't sleep on the plane?" You asked. 

Karl shook his head. "I didn't want to accidentally move you."

You smiled to yourself. "Honestly, I could probably use a nap too." You said. 

Karl pushed your empty suitcase off the bed and patted the space next to him. You laid down, stretching out on your back, popping your spine. Karl rolled over so that he was half laying on you, his head tucked under your chin. 

"Is this okay?" He asked, breath tickling your jaw. 

You slung an arm over his waist and closed your eyes. "This is perfect."