26

It was possibly the best week of your life. The steady roll of the waves was a constant, as was the company of your friends. Each day was just another set of hours to spend soaking up the sun, laughing and eating your fill of whatever you wanted.

Eventually though - as all good things do - it came to an end. It was amazing how a week could drag on for years, but it could also slip through your fingers like sand.

They did say time flew when you were having fun though.

You dropped the last of your shirts into your suitcase and zipped it closed, mentally going over everything you had packed. You were sure you had it all, but you could never be too sure.

The list was interrupted when the door to your room opened and Karl stepped in, flipping on your bed.

"Packed?" He asked, gazing up at you.

"Yup." You said, perching on the edge of the bed next to him.

Karl sighed, his gaze slipping from you to the ceiling. "I really don't want to go home."

You thought about the apartment waiting for you, and your online classes, and the mall. They were nothing compared to Mexico, but there was a familiarity in those places that Mexico didn't have. "I don't know, I kind of miss my own bed."

Karl hummed at that. "Yeah, that's a good point."

You shifted, leaning back on your hands to look down at him. "You're packed?"

He nodded, his eyes meeting yours. "As soon as the other two are done, we can head to the airport."

You sighed, flopping down on the bed next to him. "This was possibly the best vacation of my life."

Karl rolled so that you were facing each other, one hand coming up to caress your cheek and brush a stray eyelash away. "Me too."

"I'm sure you'll go on crazier trips than this." You said. Compared to some of the things Karl had done for work, this was nothing.

"Yeah, but this was for us." Karl said. "This one wasn't really about work, it was just about us and our friends. That's what made it so good."

God you were in love with this boy.

"I love you." You breathed, pressing forward slightly to lock your lips with his. The hand that had brushed the eyelash away now cradled you closer.

After a moment, Karl pulled back, grinning like an idiot. "You said it first."

You looked at him slightly puzzled.

He giggled happily, pulling you into his chest. "No ones ever said it first before." He paused, pressing his nose to your hair. "I love you. I love you, I love you, I love you."

You closed your eyes and leaned into the touch, smiling at the easy affection.

Eventually though, you did have to get up, as there was a plane to catch. Karl called a cab for the airport and checked out of the resort. Alex would be heading back to his home on his own.

Gathered in the lobby, you said your goodbyes to him.

Karl wrapped him up in a fierce hug. "I'll miss you dude."

Alex laughed, squeezing him back. "We're literally going to talk to each other as soon as you get back."

Then it was Noah's turn. She pressed a kiss to his cheek and wrapped him up in a hug. "It's been fun." She said. "If you're ever in America, call me."

Alex smiled, and squeezed her hand gently. "I'll do that."

It was your turn then, and you pulled him into a quick hug. "It was really nice to meet you." You said.

"You too." He said. "And take care of Karl, alright?"

You laughed. "Will do."

It was a little sad, leaving Alex behind as you got into the cab to go to the airport. You knew you would probably see him again - he was a friend of Karl's after all, but pulling away from the resort and watching him wave the cab off was really when it sunk in that you were going home.

The ride to the airport seemed shorter than it had when you had first made the trip a week ago. As the scenery passed, you found yourself mapping out the shape of the trees and trying to capture the sound of the sea in your mind - bits and pieces to hold on to.

You leaned on Karl's shoulder, watching everything roll by. "I'm going to miss this."

"Yeah." He agreed. "But hey, we can always come back."

You smiled. This wonderful, sweet, beautiful boy.

The airport was bustling as always as you dragged your luggage along, following Karl and Noah through all the security and checkpoints. Eventually, you made it to the gate, where you waited for a while until you boarded the plane.

"Do you want the window?" Karl asked.

"Go ahead." You said.

"No really." He insisted. "You had to sit in the middle on the way out, so you shouldn't have to do it again."

You smiled and slid into the window seat; Karl taking the middle and Noah dropping down into the aisle seat.

There was a pensive sort of look on Noah's face, like she was really thinking about something. "Noah?" You asked.

Her trance broke, and she looked to you.

"You're thinking pretty hard over there." You prompted.

"Yeah..." She said. "I'm just thinking about how I still have a real job. Like, I have to manage a Hot Topic at the mall when we get back."

You laughed. "Yeah, and I have to work at Bath and Body Works."

"And Karl over here gets to fill people's houses with foam." Noah said pointedly. "He's out here living the dream."

"You guys are welcome to fill my house with foam if you want." Karl said.

You laughed, and the captain chimed in over the speakers, informing everyone that it was time to takeoff. You settled into your seat as the plane began to move, resting your head against Karl's shoulder and watching as Mexico disappeared.