Asses and Allies

Vincent walked briskly from the school library. He liked to go to the library as often as possible. It was a good quick spot for a study session between classes or just to decompress.

The autumn air rushed through the quad carrying the fallen leaves with it. Hues of yellow, orange, and red blurred the ground. It made the campus feel homey, and Vincent was grateful for it. Vinny shivered in the air. His thick green sweater would only be a good enough protection from the cold for the next few days; it was just about time to start wearing his coat.

Vincent pulled his planner out of his bag and checked his schedule; English. English was in a building that bordered the quad and not a far walk, besides being one of Vincent's favorite classes.

    "Hey man. What have you got next?" Dustin ran up beside Vincent in the courtyard.

"Romantic Lit.. you?"

"Same." The conversation seemed to fizzle there. Dustin and Vincent were certainly not what anyone would describe as close, but they were roommates, and that meant spending a good amount of time together. Dustin was very intelligent and a hard worker too, so Vincent and he got along relatively well, Vinny just wished they had a little more to talk about.

     "I didn't realize you were in my section." Vinny mused.

"Oh yeah.. I like to sit in the back. I'm in your bio too. You sit next to that one girl... the one who answers all the questions."

"That's Hailey," Vincent chuckled. "She's like.. my best friend."

"Nice. She seems cool."

"Very cool," Vincent agreed. There was another lull until Vinny thought of a topic that he was sure Dustin would prefer to talk about. "Hey... I think Lucas might have Lit now too."

     "Lucas is so cool." Dustin murmured. "I watched the livestream back from the last game. He played so well, it was epic." Dustin rambled on.

      Vincent smiled slightly, thinking back to Lucas' game. Vinny didn't know what was good soccer and what was bad soccer, but from the conversation around Lucas over the past few weeks he assumed Lucas must have played very well. The pair walked into the lecture hall going up a few flights not really sure where to sit. From across the room Lucas waved Vincent over then went back to his conversation with Marty.

       Vincent frowned. He had no desire to sit near Marty, and thought if he attempted to there would probably be a fight, but Lucas asked him to... and he sorta wanted to. He just wished Marty wasn't there, though he assumed this was probably part of Marty's plot; to just always be there, and keep making Vincent uncomfortable.

       Lucas was nodding as the dark haired boy whispered in his ear gesturing with his hands. Lucas looked up with a shiny smile, that Vinny returned, and Marty visibly rolled his eyes.

     "Hey Lu what's up?" Vincent asked, as he sat down.

     "Nothing. We were just talking about yo..." Lucas began, but was interrupted by a firm slap on the back of the head by Marty. "Ow! What was that for?" He whined.

         Vincent rolled his eyes. Typical Marty, taking the most immature way out of every situation.

      "Anyway..." Vinny attempted to re-steer the conversation. "Hey, sorry I didn't get to see you after your last game, Hailey and I had to run, cause her parents wanted her to come home... you played great though."

       "It's fine! I'm just glad you came at all." Lucas smiled warmly. "Hey.. so I know that the tutoring was sorta a joke, but I could use some help if you're still available."