Chapter 14- the female titan and loss

Eren was still contemplating it was clear and then he shook his head and shouted. "I'm with you!" The squad members looked overjoyed and we carried on. Levi looked once back at me and nodded. Then he took off spouting orders to the others.
We carried on. Right now I was to stick with Eren, not engage with the Titan behind me.

After a while we heard the sound of cannons, multiple ones deep within the forest.

We hitched the horses and took to the trees as we waited.

It was hard to tell what was going on. I heard the others talking but my keen eyes were looking out for multiple things. The titan, Levi or a mole to appear so I didn't hear.
Then smoke appeared in front of us.
"It's the Captain."
I wasn't sure it was a bit tall to be him. And then this was proven when they transformed into the female titan, I watched the squad get decimated as Eren flew. I saw Petra about to get hit so I flew hitting her out of the way and got smacked myself. I hit the floor hard and pretended to be dead. The Titan seemed sad by that and killed Petra in front of me. Eren! I had to get to Eren! She was after him! I struggled to move, managing to get on my feet, and shot out my grappling hooks and flew after him.
She was not to get Eren. I knew I would probably be too late.

As I swung and flew after her I heard another to my right. This time it was the Captain and Mikasa.
"The others?" He asked. I shook my head in pain. He grimaced and directed myself and Mikasa around towards the Titan. About that time Eren transformed.
"Eren your an idiot." I muttered to myself but flew forwards and aimed to land on his shoulder. However, the female titan punched it making me move to land on a tree shoulder height instead.
Eren turned briefly to look at me and seemed relieved to see I was alive, the captain and Mikasa landed on the same tree and we watched Eren fight.
The female titan seemed familiar-it's fighting stances, the way it fought but I couldn't quite put my finger on it.
When her fist tore through the air punching Erens jaw I almost fell off the tree limb. I was still shaky and sore, probably bleeding too. But that didn't matter. I had to get to him before she did. I armed myself and flew, aiming for his nape. She anticipated this and moved him.
I swore and swung round. But I never made it near his nape. She grabbed me and pulled me close to her face, tight in her fist.
Eren was down now, that I could see. So she chucked my swords to one side and flung me inside her mouth. Inside I struggled to not fall down her mouth her tongue seemed to move backwards to stop me as well.
That was interesting. She wasn't about to eat me....hmmm. Then her mouth opened again and she threw in an unconscious Eren.
"Eren!" I stumbled over to him. "Eren, please, please wake up." I begged.
He stayed unconscious. I clung to him. My brother was not going to go down this monsters throat. And then we were moving it seemed. The Titan was running. I could hear nothing but it's footsteps.

Would Levi just let it take us? What about those that died? I saw Eld's expression in his face as he died, Gunther's body in two pieces. Oluo, a grimace ingrained on his face as he lay smashed on the floor. Petra, smashed against a tree.
Eren, Levi and I were all that were left of the Special Operations Squad. And I couldn't help the tears that fell.

Soon the Titan stopped and she seemed to be fighting someone. Had Levi come for us? Had Mikasa? I knew she wouldn't let Eren go without a fight. I heard the slash of swords above us and clutched Eren to me tight.
Then her jaw moved. Light spilled inside, Levi stood, his hand outstretched. He had come for Eren then. Good. I handed him Eren and prepared myself to fall. He then grabbed me with his other hand and pulled me from the Titans mouth as well. Landing on the floor, he handed Eren to Mikasa and took me on his back.

As we flew away I gave once glance at the Titan. She was crying.

When we had been brought to the rest of the Scouts, the other Titans lying dead, steaming. We mourned and collected the bodies we could find. Rolling them into a shroud and placing on a cart.
I and Eren were laying on another. Eren still unconscious.

I was still hurt and riding a horse back would be worse. Someone had gone and grabbed the dead Levi squads horses from where they had been stashed and they were brought back with us.
Armin had a bandage around his head and Mikasa was her stony self.
Preparations to go back were being made.

When it was all complete, almost in silence we rode back.
Armin turned to me, laying on the ground. "I'm glad your still alive Layla."
"Me too Armin. Me too." I coughed. Blood came from my mouth and I hastily wiped it away. I think I had bit my cheek when I had landed hard and the blood was being a nuisance.
"Are you alright?" He asked coming closer. "That didn't look-"
"I'm fine Armin. Sore and in pain but fine." I sat there and smiled weakly.
"Hmm." He didn't seem convinced.
"Armin. She looked familiar." I said changing the subject.
"You thought so too?" He said surprised. "I just can't place her though."
"Me either." I added. "But..." I had to cough. "She seemed like she knew me and Eren."
"You and Eren?"
"Yes, she looked me right in the face before disarming me and throwing me in her mouth." I said, taking in huge breaths. I was struggling to breathe.
"Eren I can understand as he is a Titan shifter. She had huge intelligence as well. " Armin added. I just nodded, I was seeing spots now. But I kept it together to utter the next few words.
It came as a whisper but I knew he would hear. "I can speak to Titans." And then I blacked out.