Chapter 16-inside the walls and further exploration

What the actual fuck! Was my initial reaction. Why is there one of...of those in the walls!
But I couldn't linger over it. I had to come down from where I was and land on the ground.
Annie it seemed had encased herself in a crystal, that Captain Levi was trying to break open. The amount of broken swords nearby was astonishing.

"Sir." I saluted.
"Cadet." He said, I could see the sweat pouring off him. "Great job there." I was amazed. Had he actually just complimented me? Or was I hearing things?

Hanje soon appeared but her gaze wasn't on the crystallised Titan shifter, but at the face that peered through the wall.
"Cover it up!" Came a screeching voice, it was one of the pastors for the cult that worshiped the walls. "Before the sun hits it!"
Instantly a huge clothe, clearly sewn together in haste was placed over the face, blocking the sun.
I knew Hanje would want an explanation, and I knew her methods, instead I helped load Annie onto the cart that had been brought. I also picked up a piece of hardened crystal as Hanje would no doubt want to look into that more as well.

Eren was exhausted anyone could see that. And it was a relief to get him back to the small house we had made as a base. Not just my relief either-but it seemed mirrored, Annie was locked away in a well guarded area that only a few knew about. I would not know and would not wish to know.

After this we were briefed. And I handed the crystal to Hanje who explained it was hardened Titan skin. And then she further explained that the pastor knew something about why there were Titans in the walls. She hypothesised that the walls themselves were also made of hardened Titan skins.
Astonished that we were, however the next moment shouts came from soldiers around us.
"The titans have breached wall rose!"
Shocked we all were but Captain Levi snapped us all to attention, most of Hanje's squad had been sent to guard the rest of the 104th. Aside from me of course and Moblit- Hanje's second. They would be out there dealing with this breach.
"The others." I gasped. "Most of them came from the south. Their homes were in the south, from where the breach was supposed to have happened.
"What is it Cadet?" Levi asked.
"Some of the 104th has families that way. To the south." I replied.
He seemed thoughtful for a moment.
"Cadet Drake."
"Yes sir?!"
"Ride out and see whether the wall has been breached and where. We will meet up shortly with you."
Gasps were heard around.
Was I finally being allowed to leave? To go?
"Sir?"
"Levi's right. If the wall has been breached we need to find out where." Erwin added. "Cadet Drake, I trust you will find this and send a courier?"
"Of course sir but-"
"Get going brat!" Levi snapped.
I saluted and jumped. Sprinting to the stables I grabbed my horse and jumped astride. I was going on my own it seemed
"Wait!" Jean shouted. "I'm coming with you!" I turned and waited, Jean saddled a horse fast and together we sped out of the city, from the soldiers- couriers who had told us the wall was breached.
We rode hard. Following the wall.

With Eren and Mikasa.

"Your scarf has seen better days." Eren said to Mikasa, noticing she looked tired.
"I'll grab a new one if I can find one with the supplies." He paused. "Where is Layla? She ok?"
"Yes she was at the wall with the others." Mikasa replied.
"I hope that she's not hurt." Eren replied. Before Mikasa could reply, the door burst open with Armin standing there panting.
"Eren, Mikasa, Wall rose has been breached. The titans are coming!"
Erens mouth dropped open and Mikasa stood in shock.
"Armin where's Layla?" Eren asked hastily.
"She's been sent to find the breach." Armin said shakily. "With Jean."
"No." Breathed Eren. "She will get herself killed alone!"
"Eren. It was on Captain Levi's and Commander Erwin's orders." Armin replied, his eyes wide with fear.
"No!" Eren shouted and started to run for the door.
Mikasa grabbed his shoulder.
"She will be fine Eren." She said. "She's too strong for her own good. She will come back to us."

With me and Jean.

"I hope the others join us." I shouted to him.
"I agree we would be overwhelmed soon if they didn't!" He called back.
We carried on riding hard. Behind us I swore I heard hoofbeats. I glanced behind us. Hanje, Levi and a cart which must have held Eren and the others was following, not as fast but quite a way behind us.
"They are behind us, about fifty meters away!" I shouted.
"Let's keep going then!" Jean shouted and the whooped. I cheered and rode harder, Jean following suit.
We had to find that breach. And fast.

We carried on, the sun was setting and the others seemed to not be needing to go as fast as us, they had also veered away from the wall.
We were surprised but carried on. So far we had found no breach.

It was puzzling how had Titans gotten in if there was no breach?
And then the answer hit me like lightning. They must have already been inside!
"Jean!"
"What?"
"We need to go away from the wall, and find somewhere tall. I need to check something, also isn't Connies village nearby?"
"Yes why?"
"I just need to see something. I'll take the blame."
"Ok."
We veered away from the wall and headed towards Connies village.
I had to see.
I had to see.
I had to see.

When we reached the village the sun was setting further.
The village was silent. Deadly worrying silence that caused us to rein in our horses. As we slowly rode the horses into the village we kept an eye for titans.
"Does this mean they were evacuated on time?" Jean asked. But the shapes of the houses, some of them were all wrong.
"Hang on Jean." I said and launched from my horse, landing on a roof. It looked as though something had burst from it. Part of it were smouldering as if a Titan had been injured inside.
I almost slipped from the roof.
"Jean, lets keep going." My voice quavered. "Someone must be alive."
I jumped and landed back on my horse. We rode a little more, what awaited us was a Titan on its back. And our comrades.
"Connie!" Jean shouted. The shaved head turned to face us, he was in plains clothes and with no ODM gear. I however stared at the Titan.
She was looking at me too, though her eyes flickered to Connie.
I could vaguely hear Connie and Jean talking with Reiner joining in.
I could not tear my eyes from the Titan.
Tears welled. So it must have been true.
Was this where they had come from?
This Titan was stuck, unable to move and thus not a threat. The house had pinned her in.
I rode closer.
"Layla what are you doing?" I heard Reiner ask, but I ignored him.
"Layla!" Connie shouted. "Don't!"
"Hush!" I called back. "I'm thinking."
They soon hushed so I couldn't hear. Instead I went and stood underneath her. The head tried to move but it was stuck.
"Easy." I said soothingly. "I'm not going to hurt you." Her eyes so familiar. I looked back at Connie and caught a glimpse of his eyes- wide and terrified for me, and then back. "I see." I said softly. "Pleasure to meet you. He's told us so much about you." I said for her ears only. A tear welled.
"Don't cry. He's been amazing, so brave and a great friend." I said patting her cheek. "He wanted to make you all proud."
"Layla we need to go!" Connie called.
"You go! I'll catch up." I replied.
"Not leaving you-"
"I said go! I won't be long!" I shouted back. Hardheaded bastards.
Begrudgingly they left. Jean I motioned to go with them. He did though he too didn't want to.
"Now their gone we can talk more." I said.
"Proud." The Titan breathed. I smiled.
"Will you let me help you?" It shook its head, moving bricks and mortar.
"Then allow me to sing to you?"
It blinked as it couldn't nod.
"When the cold winds a calling, and the sky is clear and bright, misty mountains sing and beckon, lead me out into the lift, I will ride I will fly chase the wind and touch the sky, I will fly chase the wind and touch the sky." The Titan closed her eyes. I continued. "Where dark woods hides secrets and mountains are fierce and bold, deep waters hold reflections of times lost long ago. I will hear every story, take hold of my own dreams, be as strong as the seas are stormy and proud as an eagles scream. I will ride I will fly chase the wind and touch the sky, I will fly chase the wind and touch the sky."
I touched the Titans cheek.
"I am sorry. I will find who did this to you. I will tell Connie you died, if that's what you want. I'll tell him you were proud of him. I swear." Taking one of my swords I sliced my palm. Letting the blood hit the floor. The Titan didn't move at all now. I grabbed a bandage and bound my hand before sheathing the sword and jumping lithely onto the horse, urging it away, riding hard to reach the others. This would be shared, whoever had done this would die.