Chapter 19: Shots Fired

"How long have you been spying on me?" I ask, holding an arm across the doorway.

Ging pushes past me and waltzes into the house. "Long enough to know you're having nightmares again."

Eta. She can map everyone on the island. She must've told him about my...I don't even know what to call what she saw. Panic attack? I can't believe she sold me out. Years ago, Ging used to cradle me back to sleep when I woke up screaming from my nightmares. Fuck, he knows way too much about me. Things that hurt...But that's in the past, he doesn't know me anymore. "Yea well they went away once. I'm sure I'll figure out how to get rid of them again."

"Do you think you can fuck your pain away with that guy?"

My face stays blank as possible as I stare at him. His beard is patchy and his spiky brown hair's hidden under turban like hat. Most of his body is buried under a long sleeve shirt and baggy white pants. Like I'd give him the satisfaction of an answer. "You're just jealous because I never gave it up to you. And even I do use him for my pain, that's really none of your business. Now why are you here?"

He tips his head to the side for a moment. "Just visiting an old friend."

I purse my lips. Hmmph. "Now all of a sudden you're interested."

His voice softens. "I never stopped being interested."

Oh no he doesn't. I don't care how he feels about me, though I don't understand why, he just saw me with another man. I've clearly moved on and am not interested in making up with him in any way. "The same way you never stopped being interested in Gon?"

Ging looks around as if Gon's hiding somewhere in my house ready to pounce on him. "He's here already?"

Wooow. The gall of this deadbeat. My eyes bulge in rage. "Motherfucker why are you keeping tabs on me and not your son?"

He laughs so hard he grits his teeth as if he views my frustration as cute. "You're a lot feistier than I remember."

My neck rolls as I face him. "Sure of myself more like. That happens when you grow up. You should try being there to see it sometime."

One of his eyebrows raises. "You left me, not the other way around."

"I'm not talking about me. I do not want you. Your son on the other hand has traveled half the world to see you."

He bites his lip and shrugs. "Gon shouldn't be playing the game to see me; he should do it because it's a kickass game that'll teach him how to be a better hunter."

My head lowers to my fingertips for a moment. This fool's starting to give me a headache. "Kickass game? Ging, have you been smoking crack? The only person that boy is trying to hunt down is you. Why are you so scared of meeting him? He's actually an awesome kid. And even if he wasn't, children still need parents. Sons need fathers."