Chapter 21

I KNOW THERE HAS BEEN HELLA DRAMA SO IM GOING TO TRY TO MAKE THIS ONE MORE HAPPY BUT THERE WILL BE A DRAMATIC PART STILL. SORRY NOT SORRY.

Cassie was the first to awake in her dormitory the next morning. She lay for a moment watching the sunlight stream in through the curtains as birds chirped on trees outside. She savored this feeling of calmness, trying not to think about the heavy weight of a decision she had to make soon.

The previous night she had thought she knew what she was going to tell Dumbledore, but as Cassie continued to think about it, the more unsure she became. Throughout the night she realized just how dangerous it may be, not to mention what it might do to the people around her.

Pulling open the curtains around her bed, she got up and started to dress. The only sounds besides the twittering of birds was the slow, deep breathing of her fellow Gryffindors. She opened her school bag carefully, pulled out parchment and quill, and headed out of the dormitory for the common room.

The decision on whether or not to become a death eater spy was looming over Cassie. She was unsure what to do. Granted, becoming a spy would help the Order, but what if it hurt her relationships with the people around her?

Seeing as she was going back and forth on the decision, she decided to write to someone who she trusted dearly to help her - Remus Lupin.

Making straight for the old, maroon couch beside the fire, Cassie settled herself down comfortably and unrolled her parchment. She uncorked her ink bottle, dipped her quill into it, and then held it suspended an inch above the smooth yellowish surface of her parchment, thinking hard... But after a minute or so she found herself staring into the empty fireplace, at a complete loss for what to say.

Cassie had so much to ask Remus concerning the mission Dumbledore proposed to her, but the problem was deciding how to write it. Letters were being intercepted left and right, so she had to be sure to write it in a way that wouldn't give any information to possible letter-thieves.

She sat there motionless for a while, until finally coming to a decision. She dipped her quill into the ink bottle once more and set it upon the parchment.

Dear Remus,

Hope you and Tonks are doing okay. I miss you both so much, I can't wait to see you guys at Christmas! School here has been terrible as I'm sure you know by now seeing who was hired for the Defense Against the Dark Arts position (you were definitely much better).

Anyways, I'm writing about the thing I've been doing over the summer. I'm sure you've heard by now what Dumbledore said to me, so I'm wondering what I should do. It's a terribly difficult decision to make, I really need your help, Remus.

Please write back quickly.

Miss you,
Cassiopeia

Cassie reread the letter multiple times to ensure it didn't reveal any information to possible outsiders. All she could do was hope for the best that Remus would know what she was subtly was referring to.

Considering it was a very short letter it had taken a long time to write; sunlight had increasingly crept throughout the room, and he could now hear distant shuffling from dormitories above. Sealing the parchment carefully he climbed through the portrait hole and headed off for the Owlery.

The sun was high in the sky by the time Cassie reached the Owlery. Beams of sunlight crisscrossed throughout the entire room illuminating the hundreds of owls nestled on the rafters.

She was tying the envelope to a school owl when the door to the Owlery shoved open, startling her.

Cassie let out a yelp while turning around abruptly to see who was there. To her surprise, it was Harry here in the Owlery with her at this time in the morning.