the ice skates

"Spencer, you really didn't have to come with me

"Spencer, you really didn't have to come with me."

"But I want to meet your sister! It's gonna be fun."

You glance over at Spencer from the driver's seat, and he grins at you, squeezing your hand. Your smile softens and you turn back toward the road. "I know. I'm just nervous, I guess."

"I am, too," he says, running his thumb over yours. "What if your sister doesn't like me?"

"You make me happy, bubs; she already loves you."

Spencer lifts your hand to his lips, planting a soft kiss to the back of it. Your smile grows wider, and you stare out the windshield. It's only a fifty-three-minute drive to Baltimore, a very short drive. Unfortunately, the very short drive is one you can't make often because of school. Your thesis and now, Spencer, take up a lot of your time.

"Pretty girl?"

"Hm?" You glance over at Spencer before turning your eyes back to the road.

"Did you like living in Baltimore?"

You nod slowly. "Yeah, it was nice. After my mom died, it just...wasn't somewhere I really liked being a lot. I don't mind visiting, it's just..."

"Hard." Spencer's voice is soft. "I understand. That's how...that's how I felt about Vegas. My mom doesn't live there anymore, but when she did, that's how I felt."

"Where does she live now?"

"A full-time care facility in DC," he murmurs, playing with your fingers. "I see her most of the time but...she doesn't really remember who I am. Most of the time, that is."

"I'm sorry," you whisper.

"It's okay," he replies. "I think that's why I haven't taken you to meet her yet."

"No, I understand, bubs. You don't have to justify it to me."

"Okay," he says softly. He kisses your fingertips again before lacing his fingers back with yours.

It's only about another fifteen more minutes until you pull into your sister's driveway. Spencer had assured you he won't be called away on any cases while you guys are here—something about time off, even though you didn't really know time off in the FBI existed. You turn to him, giving him a soft kiss on the cheek before grabbing your keys and opening the car door.

You grab your bag, watching Spencer grab his, throwing it over his shoulder as he meets you at the front of your car. You smile up at him, your free hand moving to cup his cheek.

"She already loves you," you reassure him.

He leans into your hand, a small smile on his face. You lean forward, pressing your lips to his. He kisses you back, smiling as he breaks the kiss. He plants a small kiss on your forehead before you grab his hand, leading him to the front door.