Beauty and the Beat (3)

“We should do the school play,” Freya informed me as we made our way into the theater for our long-awaited dance class. “The show hasn’t been announced yet, but I’m sure it’ll be great.”

I crinkled my nose at her. That did not sound like something that would be fun. Maybe for Freya, who loved to be in front of anyone and everyone, but not for me.

“I hope they do Grease,” she continued now, still very excited over the thought of it all. “I’ve always wanted to be in Grease. You know it’s my favorite movie!”

“They’ve already done Grease,” I had to break to her, feeling kind of bad because she really was excited about it. I could remember how they had done Grease the year after my brother had graduated.

Freya waved this fact away. “That was over ten years ago.”

That may have been true, but I still didn’t think a school was going to do the same show even if it had been over ten years. But then again, I didn’t even know what I was talking about. It didn’t really matter for me anyway, since I wasn’t going to try out no matter what it was.

“Wait, don’t you have to be in the drama class to be in the play?” I remembered out loud, knowing for a fact that she wasn’t in drama and hadn’t been since her freshman year.

Freya shook her head so fast that I thought her neck would snap. “Not this year,” she giggled, even bouncier than usual. “There aren’t enough kids in the class for a whole show this year, so they’re going to hold auditions for everyone in the school!”

I was happy for her, since she really was talented enough to get a big part in whatever show they were going to do. I just hoped she ended up liking the show the school decided on using. I knew I’d never hear the end of it if she didn’t.

“I’m really excited about the class after this one,” Freya giggled as we plopped down beside Bennett and Maxxon. “Mr. Deveraux is definitely going to make English class a hell of a lot better than last year.”

Bennett rolled his eyes. “You’re just mad because you had Mrs. Sparks.”

“She’s evil, I tell you!” Freya bellowed now, just like she always did whenever we mentioned her eleventh grade English teacher. “She had it out for me from the start! Just because I was late on the first day! She partnered me up with this freaky kid for our year-long project and I was stuck with him! He followed me around all summer! He still follows me around!”

I patted my best friend on the shoulder, but she didn’t see the flat look on my face as I tried to calm her down. I then glared at Bennett, because he should have known better than to bring up Mrs. Sparks.

Bennett rolled his eyes again, and the bell luckily rang to stop him from saying anything that would piss Freya off even more.

“I want everyone to pair up,” was what Mrs. Carson informed us all first, and I immediately grabbed Bennett before Freya could. If she paired up with him, then I’d be stuck with Maxxon. “We’ll be learning ballroom dancing today.”

Freya didn’t look disappointed by the fact that she was partnered with Maxxon, since ballroom dancing meant that you’d have to be really close to your partner. Since Bennett and I had been best friends since childhood, it really didn’t matter to us how close we were.

“Everyone up on stage,” Mrs. Carson now ordered with a clap, and we all hurried our way from our seats and to the stage. She plugged in a boom box and stuck a CD inside. I could tell that she was hoping teaching us would be easy so she’d actually be able to use it.