Wonder

Keefe watched Kye fondly as she raced around the yard catching butterfly's, Jack was inside taking a nap so he only had too take care of Kye. And yeah maybe he had favorites, but who wouldn't?

"What does Foster look like?" Kye asked, zooming towards him and than running off before he could answer.

Laughing Keefe caught up too her and gestures for her to sit down, she obliged happily and stared intently at him.

"She had blonde hair and brown eyes," Keefe said.

She's beautiful. And not just because she was an elf, Sophie's whole demeanor and personality made her stand out with a uniqueness never seen before. Just her stance spoke volumes.

"Keeeeefe stop thinking about that girl! I asked you a question. Dreamy stuff later."
Kye said seeming impatient.

"How about I get to ask you a question. We take turns?"

"Okay." Kye nodded at this.

"How do you run so fast with your disability?" He couldn't help but be curious.

"I'm used to it. And one time my daddy showed me how to skip, maybe I look funny but it works for me." Kye mumbled looking downcast.

"I don't think you look funny, you look very brave." Keefe promised, offering her a smile. She returned it after a minute.

"My turn!" She squealed, a somewhat crazy look in her eyes. What was she up too now?

"Are alicorns real?"

Now this made Keefe pause. Her eyes seemed to search his soul, every bit of her wasn't joking, prying, just pure curiosity with a mix of wonder.

"Why would you ask that?" Keefe said nervously, stalling. Why couldn't he just lie? Say no. Shake his head. Anything. But for some reason he couldn't do that, he couldn't lie. Not just yet.

"Cause Foster is real. And she was in the story you told me." Kye said, tossing her head to the side.

"I..."

It was complicated talking about his old life with Kye, though he'd opened up
about it a lot. It was an interesting concept, explaining his memories, Kye didn't know a thing about him, about his true life, world. And yet she hung onto every word, every line he spoke brought magic to her eyes and imagination to her heart. Showed new hope in her world.
For now it was a nice story, new hopes, wonders, a fairytale dream. But what would happen if he actually showed her the truth?

Don't think like that, he told himself. You can't.

But it would be so easy. Too easy. He could simply lift up an object with telekinesis and she'd see it with her own eyes. Fact is he could probably just tell her "alicorns are real" and she'd believe him right than and there, the trust of a child was like none other.

So that's why it took everything in him to stop himself from telling her that yes, alicorns were real.

But he still couldn't lie. Not to her, so instead he shrugged.

"Maybe. I'm sure one day you'll figure it out."

Kye watched him thoughtfully and nodded. Amused by her seriousness Keefe laughed, this girl was like no other. Her family was lucky to have her.

Wish my family had thought the same of me, he thought bitterly.

His father...

Let's just say that he wasn't missing him after five days of being in the Forbidden Cities. Fact was... he could live with never seeing him again.

And that's when he had to stop himself from thinking about it. Because this was just his parents and it shouldn't matter that much. He had grown up with it, he'd acted tough, joking, so why did it feel like he could shatter into a thousand pieces at the drop of a hat?

Because Foster's not in your life anymore.

And that was the sad truth. And even worse was the fact that it was his fault.

"Keefe why do you look so sad?" Kye looked at him with concern. She slid closer and leaned against his shoulder.

"Why aren't you smiling anymore?"

Keefe looked at her gently, analyzing the emotions that came off of her. Concern, warmth, curiosity.

"I just miss Foster." He said, a frown settling over his face. Sorrow in his heart.

"Why can't you go see her?" Kye asked, tipping her head as if to show her confusion.

"I made a couple mistakes. And I can't take them back. I'm afraid if I try to see her I'll hurt her." Keefe spoke softly, not even bothering to scold himself for spilling his guts out too a little kid. Who else did he have to talk too?

"I'm sure Foster would forgive you. She sounds nice in all your story's." Kye said, Keefe shrugged. He'd told her more story's, about the window sleepovers, the time she brought him cookies, even the day he took her too the mentors room with all the food. Of course he'd omitted some parts but most was left true and wow did Kye ask lots of questions.

"Can you tell me another story?" Kye asked. Shifting herself into his lap as he sighed happily. This little girl made him feel more at home. Like a little sister that would never leave you alone. The least he could do was tell her another story to pass the time.

With Kye in his lap he paused to think up another story about Foster. Suddenly the moment came to him, and he began.

"One time me and Foster went out to... let go of some animals," Silveny. When they let her run free.

"And me and Foster were talking after that." He spoke softly as Kye leaned back against him. A tired smile on her face.

"Anyways recently my mom had done something troubling again, so Foster was a little worried about me. She even said..." he trailed off. Remember her exact words.

"Id told her she didn't have to take care of me. And than she said... "maybe I just like you." He smiles at the memory.

"I knew she didn't mean it in anymore than a friend way... but it was cute seeing her flustered. After she said she was worried about me. So I told her that was one of the things I liked about her. She looked really cute but that's just what I like about her." And feeling her emotions right than... she'd been happy, maybe even a little fluttery, a hopeful wonder that coaxed his wishes.

"And than-"

"Did you kiss her?" Kye asked, interrupting him and shifting out of his lap and standing up to face him. Watching him expectantly.

"No but-"

"You should've kissed her! You like her don't you?" After he nodded she sped on.

"Great Keefe. You had a serious chance." Kye rolled her eyes at him, punching him softly.

Keefe shrugged, now she was reminding him of Ro. Always on him about confessing to Sophie. He sighed at the thought. Sophie was s-

"See? And even now you're thinking about her. You really should've went for it." Kye said, fixing a look of disappointment on him.

"Um, how do you know so much about kissing?" Keefe asked, laughing amusedly as she mumbled, "I watch shows."

"You aren't seriously upset that I haven't kissed Foster are you?" Keefe asked as she pouted next to him. Not answering for a minute.

"Have you told her you like her?" Kye asked after a second. Since when was she like everyone he'd ever met? Certainly a girl of many traits.

"No. I have not."

"If you ever see her again. Tell her. Promise?" Kye asked, looking at him with an adorability that he just couldn't say no too.

"Okay." He said, looking her straight in the eye. He didn't know if this would ever matter, if this was some crazy vow, but right than and there he knew. If he ever did see Foster... at some point he had to tell her.

"I promise."