her task

"I love you as certain dark things are to be loved, in secret, between the shadow and the soul"

- Pablo Neruda XVII: I do not love you...

Some places should never bear love; crevices of an abandoned castle, a haunted ballroom of lingering spirits, or the ominous blade of a knife. It never should've, or maybe it couldn't have.

Perhaps, that is why it did.

"Do you know what your name means? It means 'star' and yes, it's a terrible name for a world like this. So cruel that such innocence can exist. So, child, if that cruelty presses in on you, you remember that your name means 'star,' do you understand? Do you get it, Astra? You're young, you may not understand now, Astra, but dark things are coming."

"Astra Hawkings."

She's ushered up the cold hallway to his office, her parents hurrying behind her. When she enters, Crouch stands up.

"Ah, it's you," he says, the wrinkles of his face creasing as the corners of his mouth lift up. "Close the door, will you? I'd rather have this conversation kept private. Mr. and Mrs. Hawkings," he acknowledges.

Astra's gaze turns to her parents, the remnants of a royal Pureblood family, one that up until a week ago, was expensive diamonds, luxury castles, and cold-kept promises. Now, their previous prestige and stature has been lowered upon the mistake her father made, the mistake that caused them to lose all their un-deserved wealth.

"I know this has been a hard week for you. But, as we've spoken earlier, there may be a way to save this family. Not entirely, but I could promise you back significant wealth and a high position in the Ministry in exchange for something."

At this, Crouch turns to Astra and something behind those weathered eyes clicks into place. "Astra, my dear. What year are you in at Hogwarts?"

"I'm entering my sixth," she responds automatically.

"Ah, yes. Sixth year. And you're a Slytherin, as I've been told?" He says, and she nods. "Lovely. Really lovely. Well, I'm sure your parents have told you. You are very brave, Astra. This takes... a great deal of courage to take on."

She says nothing and wills herself not to look up at her parents.

"And this shouldn't be taken lightly, this task your parents and I have given you. I have... suspicions that the Dark Lord has given a task, a task given to a fellow student at Hogwarts. Do you know who this student may be?" Crouch continues.

"Draco Malfoy."

"Yes, that is correct. Now, these may only be suspicions. But, you do know how this threatens the safety of our school? And ultimately, the wizarding world is at stake from this task. But this can be prevented."

"Meaning?" She knows perfectly well the meaning behind his words, but it does nothing to conceal her trepidation.

"Meaning you would be sent to follow Mr. Malfoy and find out what he is doing. Report any suspicious behavior. And eventually, capture him. I, of course, wouldn't expect you to kill him yourself; you would send a personal note to me, where I shall retrieve him." There is a silence, a cold, bone-chilling silence after this statement.

"So, the boy would be brought from Hogwarts... to be killed?" Your father says slowly.

"It is a shame truly, but do understand that this is for the good of the school and the wizarding world entirely." Crouch says quickly. He looks at Astra directly and says, "Your father tells me you are excellent with your wand and spell movements. An Auror in the making, perhaps," At this, he gives her a little smile. "There would be no one better than you, Astra. And of course, by doing this, you ensure your family's rise back to power. I will personally make sure of it. What do you say?"

"Astra...," her mother says softly behind her. Her voice is like a trigger out of her trance.

Without giving her time to respond, Crouch interrupts quickly, "Now this must be kept confidential, completely private. The rest of the Ministry is not aware of this and I would like to keep it that way."

"You don't have to do this, Astra," her father says. Astra looks up at him and sees his haunted smile and tired eyes. His decline in status has not suited him. Something inside her breaks and she looks back at Crouch.

"I will... try." She says quietly.

"Lovely!" Crouch says loudly. "Now, before you all leave, I'd like to ask you a question. What is your current relationship with Mr. Malfoy?"

She pause for a moment. "He is just a classmate," she says, then adds, "He used to bully my friends and I."

"Well yes, naturally," Crouch says. "Perhaps that will give you an aide in this task. He will not be expecting you to be after him." He gives a short bow to her parents. "I shall leave you here now. And Astra –"

She turns around.

"Regarding Mr. Malfoy, I give you full permission to use any force necessary."

The first time she sees him is in the Great Hall. Teeming with conversing students, she's sitting in the Slytherin table as delectable scents waft past her.

While greeting her fellow classmates and seeing the full castle in all its glory feels normal, it's anything but. The familiarity of being back at Hogwarts for the first day of school has been shrouded by that task that looms overhead, cutting into her head like a knife. For a moment, she's almost managed to sink into normality as she rejoices with some of her old Slytherin friends.

And then he sits down.

Sitting down opposite from her, her eyes are immediately drawn towards him. The first thing she notices is how much taller he's grown, perhaps several inches. His piercing eyes are still that soulless shade of greyish blue. Unlike his classmates, he's wearing a black suit, a contrast to his pale skin, the collar riding high up to his neck. His platinum-blonde hair no longer hangs carelessly over his forehead like it used to in his younger years, but lays with a more smooth kind of refinement. Despite these changes, Draco Malfoy holds himself with that egoistical, arrogant manner that is so irritatingly familiar.

If Astra thought that seeing him in person would make it harder for her to carry out her task, she was wrong; seeing him, in full view, just so clarifies how much hatred she has for him. She hasn't forgotten the years of bullying and careless taunts.

"Will you stop staring or am I going to have to make you?" A sharp voice breaks her out of her dazed thoughts.

Not able to think of a clever response fast enough, she shoots him an icy glare and hopes that will suffice. Sure enough, after a quick eye roll, he looks down and returns to his food.

"Astra?" Pansy says from her left. "You okay?"

"Yeah – I'm fine," she says quickly. 

a/n: first chapter, what are everyone's thoughts?