C H A P T E R 33

[33]

A L A S K A

I was awakened by hushed voices and the stinging smell of disinfectants

"What is that?" someone that I recognized as Mateo, my second oldest stepbrother, asked.

"Shut up!" I heard Max's voice snap at him.

"No need to be so rude." Juan and Flynn mumbled simultaneously, which made some chuckles ring out throughout the room and the two of them groan in annoyance.

I blended them out as I tried to remember where I was or what happened while trying to not scream in pain at the horrible headache. It felt like I was hit by a prick or like I had fallen down a mountain head first.

Then the memories slowly started crawling back into my mind.

Leo.

Gun.

William.

Hospital.

The emptiness in my stomach made itself known once again by kicking the inside of my abdomen.

Hard.

It was my fault. If I had moved to the side, if I had pushed him away, if I hadn't invited him to come with me to the ball...then I could've stopped this from happening...

It was all my fault. Everyone around me always gets sucked into the dark abyss that I was trapped in. They all either get trapped as well or die, which makes the abyss even colder and harder to survive for me.

Who will die next? Max? Xavier? Phoenix? My father?

No, I can't let that happen. I wouldn't survive losing another person, I'd fucking die and I won't allow myself to die until Leo woke up.

"Is she awake?" I suddenly felt someone poke my cheek and I was up in an instant. My eyes jolted open and a ray of sunlight hit me, making me squeeze them shut again. I slapped the hand away and blinked the tears, that had formed because of the light, away.

"Yes, she is, thanks to you." Grayson muttered.

"Hey, Al. You ok?" Max asked and I saw a sad smile resting on his lips, which I returned but then the image of Leo's last words came flooding back into my mind.

"Th-Thank you...for being m...my bestfriend. My...family." he smiled weakly.

He was my bestfriend...