» 89 «

The silence we shared afterwards was long and deafening. I didn't think anything I'd say would contribute in a positive way. And I guess Draco felt like he said it all.

So, neither of us said a word.

By now, I was sitting against one of the walls, trying to shield myself from the winds that had gotten a lot harsher now. I was hugging my legs, preserving the little bit of warmth I was still radiating after hours up here.

It was almost Christmas, after all, and December nights weren't usually the warmest.

But I wasn't about to get up and leave; I was enjoying his company too much for that. Even if we weren't even talking.

I felt his eyes on me, but I was focused on my magic- Lazily, I was waving my wand through the air, drawing little shapes and doodles that disappeared soon after.

Every now and then I took a break, sighed once, and then continued the random motions; watching the trace my wand left, mesmerised by it. I knew Draco was doing that, too.

And then, after a while, he moved closer to me; Sitting to my left, his eyes still on the little shapes I was drawing in the air. He didn't say a word, but I could feel his chest rising and falling steadily. - That's how close he was.

He kept on watching me closely, and I quickly grew accustomed to the extra pair of eyes watching my every move; watching the stars and the moons and the hearts I was drawing appearing and disappearing in a glimmering orange.

"Can I see?"

His voice startled me slightly, and my head shot in his direction. I felt his hand grab mine, lowering my arm as he reached for my wand, ready to grab it.

I tried to ignore the sensation forming where he touched me, and quickly moved the wand out of his reach with a scoff.

"I'll show you mine if you show me yours," I snickered, an eyebrow quirked as I watched a smirk form on his face.

"Sure." He fidgeted with his waistband, pulling his wand out in one swift motion, his eyebrows raised as he waited for me to grab it. I handed him mine accordingly.

"Hawthorn wood?" I asked, twisting and turning the wand in my hands. I had always been interested in them.

They were the first magical thing I got my hands-on, and it was more fascinating to me than everything that followed soon after.

I just couldn't seem to wrap my head around them back then. I remember thinking "They're supposed to help me do what? They choose the wizard? But it's just a piece of wood."

Oh, how wrong I was.

This was when I began reading about them, diving deep into why they choose who and what the different parts meant. What made each wand special.

I spent months trying to figure them out; I was only eleven at the time, and I hadn't made many friends at Durmstrang yet, which is why most of my time was spent in the library reading about them.

I huffed at the memory and looked at Draco curiously as I waited for him to tell me whether I was right or not.

He looked surprised, eyebrows raised and lips slightly parted. "What are you, a wand-expert?" He scoffed amused, though nodded soon after. "Yeah, hawthorn wood."

"Like Oleg's," I mumbled to myself, though I'm sure he heard me just fine. I remember reading about Hawthorne wood when my best friend at the time first told me all about it rather proudly.

Hawthorne was a curious wood - the leaves of the tree it came from having healing properties, though once you cut the branches, they smelled like death; Making them a perfect fit for witches and wizards with a conflicting nature.

That sure sounded like him. What did Draco have if not a conflicting nature?

I diverted my eyes off the boy; he was focused on my wand, anyway, not paying much attention to his surroundings.

"Well, I wish I wouldn't have to ask now that I know you're a pro," He grinned, waving my wand around. "What's yours? The wood? the core? I'm sorry I can't tell you everything about your wand just by looking at it." He rolled his eyes at my amused expression, and I snickered sarcastically.

"Hear, hear; There's something I'm better than you at," I joked.

"Don't get used to it."

A low laugh escaped my lips before I replied, "Laurelwood, Phoenix feather core. Do with it what you may."

He nodded knowingly. "Laurelwood, huh? I don' think I've met anyone with that kind of wand before."

"Well, we're a special kind," I huffed humorously, my eyes suddenly locked with his as a small smile played on his lips.

"That you are."

He tilted his head, his grey eyes piercing into my (y/e/c) ones. That spark that was missing the last time I looked at him was there now; making it so much easier to get lost in them.

I broke the silence suddenly hanging over us when I cleared my throat. "And yours?" I asked, my eyes dragging away from his. "What about your core?" I held his wand up in front of us, eyeing it carefully.

"Unicorn hair."

I furrowed my brows as soon as the words left his mouth, questioning whether I heard him correctly.

Unicorn hair wasn't necessarily what I expected from his wand. Generally, the assumption was that it was "the most difficult to turn to the Dark Arts," the wands belonging to kind souls, and gentle, generous people.

And while I enjoyed being around him, and he surely was a misunderstood boy, to say he was any of those would be a flat-out lie.

But maybe there was a side to him he himself hadn't even discovered yet.

"Surprised?" He scoffed, clearly humoured by my reaction.

"No, well- It's unexpected, that's all," I shrugged, feeling myself blush slightly. "No offence," I added.

"None taken." He shook his head, seemingly snapping himself out of his thoughts. "I never really understood it, either."

"Well, whatever it is. I'm sure there's a reason it chose you," I admitted, the honesty in my voice making him raise an eyebrow. "Maybe you're a big old softie underneath that little facade of yours." I nudged his shoulder with mine, a giggle escaping my lips.

He groaned, rolling his eyes playfully. "Definitely not."

"Sure."

A/N: real bonding in this chapter yuh

More or less author's notes btw? lol

See you tomorrow!!