Part 18

Kayden's POV

I hate having to return to this awful pack. I couldn't stand the stench of those Half Moons for another second, I could smell them too clearly as we approached their border.
"How are you doing Kayden?"

I glanced over at Jackson, his eyes were flooding with concern. I know I must have looked defeated and mentally, a million miles away. I just lowered my head and mumbled a quick "fine". I was grateful he could be here though and I'm sure he knows how much this means to me to have him by my side.

Once we crossed the border, I held my head up and confidence moved my paws forward.
Jackson agreed that bringing one of the Half Moon pack members temporarily into our pack might be the best way to help my mate. We needed answers. Of course Jackson expressed his concerns about this plan. We were risking a lot but the pros outweighed the cons.

Jackson would help supervise the wolf alongside many other strong wolves. I won't hesitate to kill him if he doesn't follow our rules or makes even one wrong move.

The pack house entered my view and my stomach instantly twisted, I felt sick being here again. My mate was trapped alone all these years and I could have saved her, I could have prevented so much of her pain.
I let out a low growl then stopped when Jackson leaned his weight on my side as a sign of comfort.

We shifted and put on sweatpants that were tied around our legs. I walked into the clearing and immediately saw Beta Callin walk out with Josh close beside him

"Alpha Kayden" he nodded and I returned the greeting. "We're having breakfast right now and everyone is gathered in the dining hall, if you'd like to follow me there"

We followed Callin into the pack house and to the dining hall. I kept my eyes forward, not really wanting to look around and remember details of that day.
I saw the pack sitting down for breakfast and I was seated at the end of one of the tables beside the higher ranks. I had food placed in front of me but I wasn't hungry and my mind was far away from this room.

Nate had contacted me earlier and said he was going to go outside with my mate to get her some fresh air and exercise. I wanted so badly to be in his position, to be the one helping my mate. She was too scared of me still and the power of my Alpha blood.
I tried to remind myself that I was still helping her even if it wasn't physically directed to being in her presence. This bothered me even more though, I wanted to hold her and be by her side every second.

I looked around and saw that a lot of people were finishing up their food and began to mingle. I hadn't touched much of my food and I wasn't planning on changing that so I decided to join the groups.

Josh came up to me and made sure to grab my attention "Alpha Kayden, I would love it if you could accept me as the representative. I have a lot of history with the wolf you brought back and this plan was something I came up with" I didn't like his persistence to see my mate and his attitude added more suspicion. I'm not sure if I was just being over protective of my mate, but Josh wasn't someone I wanted near her or my pack.

"I'll be sure to get back to you. If you can excuse me, I need to speak with my Beta"

I saw Jackson speaking with Callin and I made my way towards them until someone interrupted my path.

"Alpha Kayden. I apologize, hopefully I'm not being a bother. My name is Kai. I want to help Mia and I think I could be of use to your pack and a good representative for my own" I stared curiously at the boy who approached me. Definitely a more submissive and less hostile wolf compared to many gathered here. "..Mia" Her name, It has to be her name. The way it sounded in my head and the shivers that went through my body.
I could have easily lost focus on the situation if he didn't continue.