Chapter Nineteen

I couldn't believe this.

The hair on my arms and the back of my neck stood on end as the memories flooded my busy mind.

James was my ex-boyfriend.

Absentmindedly, I stepped away from him. James was my ex for a reason. He hurt you, my subconscious screamed at me, entrapping my thoughts and disabling me to think clearly.

I contemplated announcing my discovery, wondering if my mentioning it would cause James to remember. In some ways I didn't want him to remember, but maybe I did. Maybe he had changed.

James slept with someone else while we were together because I refused to satisfy his 'human desires'.

Suddenly, I realized why I had been so terrified when Owen tried to take things farther. I panicked because it was a familiar feeling that haunted me for so long and was awaken and roaring when I was with Owen.

I needed to talk to Peter.

I left the boys without a word and slipped behind the door and through the curtain separating the dining room and Peter's bedroom.

Peter sat on his bed, studying a piece of parchment in his hand and his head snapped in my direction upon my uninvited entry.

"What are you doing in here?" he questioned, standing up quickly and folding the parchment to hide whatever was on the inside.

"We need to talk about James." I demanded, unafraid of whatever Peter threatened to do to me for breaking one of his precious rules.

"I already told you, I'm not giving the memories back. Who he was back before Neverland, doesn't matter. He's a stranger to you now." he stated, standing in front of me.

"I figured it out, Peter." I admitted, looking up at him expecting something. Did Peter know who James was? "He's not a stranger. He's my-" I paused. "He was my boyfriend."

Peter's expression remained unaltered. He was not surprised or affected by what I had told him.

"There is a reason I take the memories away, Meadow." he said simply, turning and sitting back on his bed.

"You knew? Why did you bring him here if you knew?" I questioned, my voice clearly troubled.

"Because I wanted him. He's.. free spirited. You know that, don't you, Meadow? You know that he's audacious." he asked smirking, standing again before me.

"He hurt me, Peter. He didn't get what he wanted so he left me in the dirt. How dare you bring him here?" I gripped the roots of my hair, trying to compose myself. He's a memory that I wished Peter would take back from me.

"Then it's a good thing he doesn't remember, now isn't it?" Peter chuckled insensitively.

His arrogant expression caused me to snap and without warning, he got what he deserved.

A cold hard slap to the cheek.

Peter grasped the side of his face, red from the impact of my hand, bewilderment apparent in his eyes. "Look at you. You're braver than I thought you were to try something like that." his smug smirk returned to his face.

I was surprised at my own actions and my hand reeled back to my side.

"Peter, you have to take him back." I stated, almost begging. He looked down into my eyes, and for a moment I thought he might be contemplating my request, but his expression hardened. "I can't do that. No one leaves Neverland."

There was no getting through to him. "Then promise you won't let him hurt me." I said simply.

I swear I saw guilt flash in his eyes as he stood in front of me, our chests almost as close as they were the previous night as my heart beat faster like a small drum inside my chest. He swallowed and averted his stare, reluctant to respond. "I promise."

Peter turned from me, shying away from my nearness for a second time and ignoring the anomalous feeling that I know we both felt.

"I'll.. I'll leave you alone then." I said, looking down at my clasped hands before stepping back to the door, only turning around once more to glance at the lion-masked mouse that called himself Peter Pan..

•••

The sun shone through the canvas walls and the morning erupted with the daily concert of bird songs, the air crisp and chill.

I would have like to sleep longer, but knowing that I had to help Nolan with breakfast, I fetched my pants and boots and met him in the dining area. One extra mouth to feed this morning and for every morning that followed. Of course, I wouldn't mind letting him starve.

"Good morning, Nolan." I announced my arrival and he smiled. "Good morning! I didn't see you much last night after James arrived, did you go back to bed?" he questioned.

I was unsure of how to answer. I know that I could trust Nolan with anything, but maybe it was wisest if no one except Peter knew who James was. "Yes, I wasn't feeling well." I lied.

"Oh I'm sorry. He's definitely different than the rest of us. To be perfectly honest, he reminds me a bit of Chase to an extent." Nolan said, slicing a loaf of freshly baked bread.

In a way, it did feel like Peter was trying to replace Chase with James, but maybe it was because he missed him, though that was improbable.

I didn't respond. I couldn't say too much or else he'd wonder how I knew so much about him after just 'meeting' him the night before.

The boys came into the dining room, James being the center of attention. Just the way he liked it.

I set eight plates around the table and reached above the stove to the top shelf to get the honey for the bread. A hand was placed on my waist and made me jump. "Let me get it." James voice came from behind me, reaching to shelf with ease, his chest pressing against my back slightly. He handed the vial to me as I turned around and he looked down into my eyes, a smile playing on his lips. "Here."

I simply nodded a thank you and Nolan glanced at me with a raised brow and a smirk etched on his face, humored by the awkward encounter. He shook his head and turned to put the bread on the table.

Peter appeared from his room and sat at the head of the table.

I took my seat next to him and across from Nolan while everyone filled their plates and passed around the orange juice that Nolan had helped me to make.

For the first time since Chase's death, all the chairs were filled and all eight plates were used.

Peter noticed my lack of input in the conversation. "Are you feeling okay, Meadow?"

I smiled sarcastically. "Never felt better, Peter, thanks to you." I sneered, Nolan half confused and half amused as his eyes glanced back and forth between Peter and myself. Maybe it would be best to enlighten him. I know he'd be on my side of the matter and I needed a friend that would listen.

"Good. Glad." he said mockingly, eyeing me with a triumphant smirk over the cup of orange juice placed to his lips. He knew I wouldn't say anything about James and he delighted in the fact that he had won this battle.

Peter Pan, you may have won the battle, but you're far from winning the war..

•••

WOAH I UPDATED TWICE IN ONE DAY

THATS RARE

but that's because I was so excited to enlighten you all on the whole boyfriend situation. You guys can breathe now.

So I'm going to make a photo collage of how I imagine all the lost boys but right now I've decided that Nolan will be played by Chandler Canterbury.

So do you think I should use Dylan for James or find someone else considering I have one Maze Runner actor in the book already?

I'm so excited for this story and I've saved myself from writers block, thank heavens.

So there you go!

Let me know what you think!

Love love love