Chapter One

Varian stared through the bars of his little cage. He still couldn't believe that Cassandra had kidnapped him! Sure, she needed him to give her the Moon Incantation, but why didn't she set him free afterwards? Did she have some other purpose for him? If she did, he could only hope that Princess Rapunzel would help him before that time came.

Not really thinking very clearly about everything that was happening, and probably still a little denial that it had happened, Varian found himself looking up at the moon. For reasons that he just couldn't explain, he found looking at it oddly comforting. It's soft glow gave him an odd sense of security that no one else could provide... ok except maybe Ruddiger.

The young alchemist sighed as he curled into a ball in his attempt to preserve his body heat and protect himself from the cruel wind that bit him as it passed through the dark sky. He closed his eyes, listening to the wind whistling in his ears. It was almost like a lullaby, lulling him into a dreamless sleep.

As he slumbered, the boy was unaware of the ghost watching him from a distance or the soft blue glow that was emitting from the streak in his hair.

—————

Zhan Tiri roamed Cassandra's fortress as she processed what she had witnessed. The boy they'd kidnapped - he had magic? But Cassandra had said that the child hated magic! What did this mean? Did he hate himself? Or did he just hate his abilities and refused to use them? Or maybe he wasn't even aware of them?

Too many questions were swirling in the demon's head. She wanted, no, needed to know more!

Zhan Tiri continued to think it over as she continued her walk around the fortress. As far as she was aware, there were only two sources of magic in the world - the Sundrop and the Moonstone. Maybe there was a third? No that didn't sound... feel right. The energy she'd felt radiating from the boy was peculiarly similar to the energy that came from the Moonstone, but the Moonstone was in Cassandra's possession. This didn't make sense.
Maybe there was a third source that just happened to be similar to the Moonstone?

Zhan Tiri heard the sound of boots coming closer and looked up. Cassandra was coming up the stairs on her way to her throne room.

"Good evening, Cassandra," Zhan Tiri greeted.

Cassandra looked at the ghost and gave her a curt nod.

"Evening," she returned.

She went to continue her ascent up the stairs but she was stopped as Zhan Tiri continued speaking.

"Cassandra," she said. "I have a question or two I was hoping you could provide answers for."

Cass folded her arms and sighed inwardly. She just wanted to chill on her throne but supposed she could do this if it was quick.

"Alright but let's get this over with fast ok?"

Zhan Tiri nodded.

"Of course."

She took a moment to decide where to start.

"First off, the boy, Varian, does he have any sort of magical abilities?"

Cassandra almost laughed at the question. She took a second to stifle a snicker before answering.

"God no," she told the ghost. "Like I've already told you, Varian has a strong dislike for magic. He believes purely in science despite having seen magic in action on his fair share of occasions. If he had magical abilities it would be so ironic it would be funny." She stifled another laugh at the thought, though she wasn't nearly as successful this time.

Zhan Tiri didn't share the warrior's laughter. Her face was unreadable as she processed this.

"Do you know of any other magical sources in the world besides the Sundrop and Moonstone?"

Cassandra pulled herself together and considered the question.

"Hmm... no. No I don't think I do. Why do you ask?" she asked the ghost.

Zhan Tiri was hesitant to answer but realised that no harm could really be done if Cassandra knew the information.

"I think Varian may have magic that he is unaware of."

Cass went wide-eyed for a moment then, acting on her earlier statement, she creased. She doubled over as an uncontrollable laugh escaped her.

"Oh I hope he does just for the irony!" she said as she tried to recompose herself.

Zhan Tiri still didn't find it funny.

It wasn't long before the two were bidding each other goodnight and going their separate ways - Cass to the throne room and Zhan Tiri in search of any information on a potential third magic source.