Chapter 20 - Resuming duties

"And that's Dean and Castiel,"

"They court, am I correct?" Loki hummed.

"Nope, but I'm so sure they like each other," leaning against Loki's chest you flip through your phone to show more pop culture.

"I don't understand the significance of such characters, especially the portrayal on the giant mirror," Loki points to the Tv which was showing a Tim Burton film.

"You're adorable trying to understand human things,"

"Well, you beat me by doing that all the time, my love," he tugs you closer to place a shower of kisses all over your face. "You're like fruit, sweet like the heavens, good for me and addictive,"

"Fruit is addictive because you dip every bit of it in chocolate, darling," You give him an Eskimo kiss.

"Your fault for showing me such a delicacy,"

"Oh, so it's my fault now?" You muse.

"You are the only thing that makes staying up here worth it," raising a brow at him you point out a change.

"You used to say 'down here' now you're saying 'up here', why?"

"Because I'm certain I'm in Valhalla," he nuzzles his face into the crook of your neck making you giggle and kiss his closed knuckles.

"Honestly, you are so cheesy," a chuckle erupts from him making your heart flutter.

"Brother," Thor enters the living room with what looked to be a raven and roll of parchment.

"What is it, brother?" That's another thing, Loki has finally succumb to calling Thor his brother which made everyone very happy.

"Huginn has brought news from father," Loki immediately sat up to listen. "Father has decided to 'revoke the punishment' and has now asked for you 'to return to resume your princely duties',"

"Pardon? He want's me back on Asgard?" Thor nods to which his younger brother scoffs. "Have I choice in the matter? Or has the Allfather more so ordered me to return?"

"Father did mention you may be unwilling regarding attachment to 'the Midgardian' but he insists,"

"Insistency sounds more like a command," your boyfriend growls. "When are we to depart?"

"Tonight,"

"Tonight?!" Loki bellows. "Give he us no time?" The god looked conflicted.

"Apparently not, so I will give you time to collect yourself and say goodbyes,"

"Brother, wait," Thor turns back around with a cringe. "When am I to return,"

"I feared you would say that..." the thunder god sighs. "Father did not specify but that usually means-"

"Never," Loki whispers which caused a pang in your heart.

"Never?" turning to you, Loki looked torn. "You're never coming back?"

"No, no, my love, I will come back, I promise you," he clutches your face and places soft kisses around. "It may take time to convince but I will do everything I can to return,"

"Why do you have to go? Why can't Thor be prince? Why you?"

"Odin favors my brothers wants to mine, he sees that Thor will bring peace if he were to travel, but I would bring nothing but chaos," the tilted frown on his lips shattered you.

"Is there anything we can do now? Anything I can say?"

"I wish there was, my love, but the Allfather's words are final,"

~~~

"Loki,"

"Yes, my love?" Loki packed away the last of the books he had received, turning his head to meet your eye.

"I think we should talk," taking his stiff hand, you sit down on his bed with him. His heart was racing, breaking ever so slightly and not a word had been spoken. He knew what was coming, and he wasn't sure if he was ready to hear it.

So he said it himself. "You want to end out courtship?"

"Y-yeah... I just, I can't do long distance, especially if you're in another realm and won't know when or whether you will be coming back,"

"Of course, I understand your concern," he rubs a thumb over your knuckles.

"You're not... mad?"

"Mad? Darling, I cannot blame you for expressing your feelings. Of course I'm a little saddened that I've lost you, but I won't blame you," a kisses places itself on your forehead.

"You haven't lost me, love," caressing his cheek softly you sigh. "I won't stop loving you, ever. But I think for the sake of us both, we should move on. You're a prince, Lokes, surely Odin will want you to marry some princess,"

"I've already found a princess... you," he whispers, leaning his head against yours.

"And I've found my own prince charming which is you," combing a hand through his hair you peck his lips. "But this is best for both of us,"

"You're right," he sighs before hugging you tight. "I will miss you dearly, my angel,"

"You're not leaving yet, love, you still have a few hours until sundown,"

"A few hours, huh?" A grin spreads across his lips as he spins you around. "Let's make the most of it,"

~~~

"I love you," Loki mumbles into your ear as you let the water works fall.

"I love you too," kissing his lips softly one last time you look into his eyes which seemed to flicker red. "We both need to move on,"

"I will never forget you, Y/n," he whispered, head against yours.

"And I you, Loki," when you parted, missing each others touch instantly, you could see see the hurt expression as he stepped onto the platform. One last gaze was shared before the Bifrost engulfed the two of them.

~~~

*Cries in Asgardian*

- Anna ❤️