n i n e t e e n

One year earlier

"WHERE ARE YOU OFF TOO?" Reighla asked me. I looked over my shoulder to see her standing a few feet away. She was digging through her dresser. I didn't know what she was looking for. I turned back around to the vanity and brushed the hair away from my face. I brought back my curls and tied them in a knot at the back of my head. Letting a few strands frame my face. I smiled at myself. Here I could be whoever I wanted. I didn't need to put on any facades. I could be me. And this Ember wanted to have fun. I was in a baby blue cashmere sweater and beige trousers. White flats hid my feet. I looked really nice. I looked normal. Instead of my dark depressing look I put on back home. No black was in my wardrobe. It was nice. I could finally wear colours I enjoyed. Colours that made me look nice. Sexy, even. I wasn't even going to deny it, I looked hot as hell right now.

I couldn't decide if I was dressing up for me, though. Maybe I was dressing up cute in the hopes of seeing that sexy-ass man who found me on the bridge yesterday. I believed he was an elf, but it was hard to tell. I didn't know a proper reason for why any of the fae would even be in Tennia. So he had to be Tennian. Llyrian made no sense.

Reighla came up behind me and put her long hands on my shoulders. Her onyx nails rested on my collar bone. She smiled at me in the mirror of the vanity. It lit up her face. I stared back at her through the mirror. "I figured I'd go and explore, I've never been to Kryler with you before." I said. Reighla nodded her head. She gave my shoulders a little squeeze. "You look beautiful, my love." I could feel the flush breaking across my face. I gave her a sheepish smile and averted my eyes from hers. "Please be careful," she told me. "Usually you have your sister to venture out with, but since it's just you, I need you to be extremely careful, Ember."

I snorted. "I know how to take care of myself."

I met her gaze through the mirror and instantly regretted it. Her eyes were narrowed. Amber eyes pinpointed on mine. I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Oh, I'm aware." She quietly snarled. She turned from me and walked back over to the dresser. I turned in my chair and watched as she sifted through something I couldn't make out. "I'm sorry," I soothed. Fighting back never worked with Reighla. I learned that the hard way. Shutting down whatever idea I put in her head was usually the way to go. "I didn't mean it like that." She was thinking about Minette. I could tell. She never approved of this whole endeavor. I'm hers and only hers. That's the narrative that runs through her mind. Minette is someone in the way of what is "rightfully" hers.

"I just meant," Reighla turned back to me, amber eyes searched mine. "That I can take care of myself. You taught me how to. I'm not weak."

She smiled at that. It was a wide grin. Full of wicked intent. "Oh, I am very much aware of that, my dear." She beamed, making her way over to me. She stopped right in front of my face. She cupped both cheeks in her hands. My pulse thundered through my veins at her closeness. I was scared to come on this trip alone with her. If Faune was here, she'd never get this close with me. Complimenting me when no one was around. She'd back off. But Faune wasn't here. I was fair game. I was so stupid agreeing to her offer. I just needed to get away. From Faune and Lokas. My stupid feelings for him. I needed to be as far away from home as possible. After everything that had happened in Brallen . . . a break was nice. Faune and Lokas fussed over everything. Every little move I made they watched. Looking to see if I was in pain or not. It was insufferable. I was glad I left. But it sucked that it meant I had to be alone with Reighla. She had meetings pretty much all day. But, when she wasn't at them I was expected to spend time with her. Whatever the fuck that means exactly.

"That's what I love most about you," Reighla said, smiling down at me. "You are never weak. You never give in. Never stop fighting. There is a reason why you're my pairing. We're strong and wicked." She laughed. I smiled back at her. Pasting the innocent smile on my face. I hated when she used that word. Pairing. Reminding me that I am always hers. Gods, if I could I'd shrivel up in a hole and die. Just if it meant I could be freed.