f o r t y s i x

The tears had long since dried on my face, but I remained in a naked ball on the floor. I barely had enough energy to keep my eyes open, let alone try to move.

All too soon, the door slammed open and Martinez stomped in. "Put these on slut." He threw a red dress, and a pair of black heels at me. "And try to fix yourself up a bit. You look rough." He walked behind me, cutting the ties on my hands and legs. "Don't try anything, there's two guards right outside, and three more down the hall." And with that, he slammed the door on me.

I remained in the ball for a few more minutes before I managed to scrape myself from the floor. Although putting that dress on was the last thing I wanted to do, I knew the consequences for not doing it would be far greater.

When I finally managed to slip the dress on over my head, it barely reached my mid thigh. I sat down again to put on the heels, and I took my hair out of its usual ponytail to help cover some of my face. The last thing I wanted was to have to look at anyone right now.

I sat on the floor for a few more hours before I finally heard heavy boots coming down the hall. The door was pulled open, and the Governor's face appeared. "Hellooo princess." He called, yanking me up. "Don't you look dashing." He pressed a slimy kiss on my lips, and pulled me through the door. We made our way out of the building, and into the street outside. "Just wanted to parade ya around." He smirked, clearly enjoying himself.

I made no remark, and kept my face still. I put all of my focus on putting one foot in front of the other. We made it a few streets before something caught his eye, and he mumbled something to his guard before turning back to me. "Stay here." He hissed, pulling me to a stop. He entered a building, leaving me on the street with the guard. I caught a glimpse of myself in a window of the building. There were already dark bruises forming on my arms and thighs from his assault.

I turned to look around at the town. Although I had been in Woodbury twice now, I really hadn't gotten to see any of it outside of the cells. It was a fairly nice place. The sun had just finished setting, and streetlights were lighting up the town. There wasn't anyone on the streets though, which gave it an eerie feeling. There were many rows of building and shops all surrounded by a protective wall. It would be hard to break into, but my group had done it once already.

Just as I was thinking maybe they could save me again, I heard a scuffle behind me. I turned around, and saw Rick choking the guard who was supposed to be watching me. He took the guard down, and came over to me. "What happened?" Rick took one look at me, and realized that would be too long of a story to tell right now. "Don't worry about it, follow me." He ran to a wall, where I saw a hole just big enough for us to squeeze through. He motioned for me to go first, and he followed right behind. Rick whispered for me to follow him, and he took off running. I tried to keep up the best I could in my heels, thankfully we didn't have too far to run. We rounded a corner, and I was met with many pairs of eyes. But I locked with the crystal blue ones I had been dreaming of just a few hours earlier.

Just then, my legs gave out, and I expected him to run over to me, but he didn't. I almost hit the ground, when Glenn reached out and caught me at the last second. I looked to Daryl, my eyes wide with confusion and hurt, but he had already turned away, and was talking to Rick. Tears poured from my eyes, and I had to stop myself before I let out a sob.

I turned around, and allowed Glenn to support me as I hugged him. "You're ok now Aspen." He said, comforting me. But he wasn't the one I wanted to be supporting me right now.

Daryl's POV:
As soon as I saw Aspen, my first thought was how good she looked in that dress. She had incredible curves, and that dress did absolutely nothing to hide them. But seeing that look on her face, I knew it wasn't her choice to be wearing it. She was not okay. Her spirit was gone from her eyes. I could no longer see the fire that had drawn me to her from the start. That bastard had done something to her. The only thing I wanted to do was run over there and comfort her, especially when I saw her knees buckle. But I let China man do it. Every time I'm near her, I just end up hurting her.

I could never forgive myself for what I did to her in that shed, and I just needed to stay away. While that was the absolute last thing I wanted to do, it would be better for the both of us. I hurt her. I cause her too much pain. I can't keep her safe. I would rather it be me in pain from not seeing her than her in pain from my actions. She would be able find someone else. Even in this awful world. She's an amazing woman, and any man would be lucky to have her. As long as it's someone that doesn't hurt her. Someone who treats her well. Better than I ever could.

So I'll stay away. For her sake. To protect her.

After all, I'm just a stupid redneck.