Chapter 21

"I have a question," Huxley said.

"I don't want to hear it," Rhys said.

"Why are they called apartments if they are all stuck together?"

The sun had set and Huxley had not stopped speaking since they had left the gas station. Drew spent hours making phone calls and did not have any good news. He had stopped calling and was staring out the window. Anna's back and knees ached as she sat squished between Drew and Calvin.

"Hux, be quiet," Rhys said.

"Can a hearse carrying a corpse drive in the carpool lane?" Huxley asked. "That would sure help them beat traffic."

"What would they even be in a rush for?" Rhys asked. "They're dead."

"We're dead and in a rush to get somewhere."

Anna bit down on her lip to stop herself from laughing.

"Let's stay quiet," Rhys said.

They sat in silence for a few minutes. Rhys tapped his finger against the wheel as he sped down the highway.

"Do you think illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?" Huxley asked.

"That's it!" Rhys shouted. "We're stopping for the night. I can't deal with this anymore."

"What did I do?"

"Hux, you get on every one of my damn nerves."

Rhys pulled off at the next off-ramp. He drove through the town until he found a motel. They passed many fast-food restaurants, bars, and thrift stores. Rhys pulled into the parking lot of the motel. He turned off the engine and turned in his seat.

"Hux, do not follow me in," Rhys said. "Drew, come with me."

Drew patted Anna's leg before getting out of the car. Rhys slammed the door shut, and she watched them go into the lobby. Huxley turned around in his seat snickering.

"You're welcome," he told Anna and Calvin. "If it wasn't for me we would have been driving all night."

Anna laughed and shook her head.

"You're our hero," she said.

Anna climbed out of the car. She stretched her arms up over her head. The air was crisp, but she was still wearing Elena's thick winter jacket and boots. She felt guilty that Elena did one nice thing for her and Anna ended up stealing from her.

She could see Rhys and Drew through the large glass windows as they talked to the girl behind the desk. Rhys handed her a few bills and took two keys from her. They walked out of the building.

"Get your bag, Anna," Rhys said.

"Let me guess," she said wryly. "I'm sharing a room with you."

"You're smart," he said.

"I want to room with Huxley."

"Not happening."

Rhys popped the trunk and Anna grabbed her duffel bag. Rhys picked up his bag and she followed him as he walked to one of the rooms. The rest of the boys grabbed their bags and headed up the metal staircase to one of the rooms.

Rhys opened the door, and it was an outdated room. It reminded her of the room they killed the prostitute in. She did notice one big difference. There was only one bed in the room instead of two. Rhys dropped his bag on the bed.

"What is this?" Anna asked.

"What?" Rhys asked.

"One bed?" She raised an eyebrow. "You can't be serious."