8. Meeting

-Oliver-

-Oliver-

The day at school ended way too soon. I never thought I'd be sad about it, but now I was. I waited for Jaden and the others by the exit, wanting to spend a few more minutes with them before I had to go home. I could feel Natalie close by, and when I closed my eyes, I could feel Jaden too somewhere at the far end of the school. He was on his way to me.

While I waited, I focused on the spirits around me. Most of them were a little wary of me, and when I opened my eyes, I could see a lot of them giving me nervous looks. They weren't afraid of me, more like... Amazed.

That was so odd... I'd spent countless of days in this building, feeling invisible. Well... I had been invisible a lot. It was weird to have so much attention to myself. I wasn't a fan of it.

I turned to look outside, trying to forget the people around me, and focused on that one bright light in my reality that was quickly approaching me. Jaden. He was almost there. I turned around to see him walk towards me with Arch and Tilly on his heels.

I smiled at him and stayed still, waiting for him to get to me. When he did, he immediately pulled me into a hug, taking in a deep breath.

I really wanted to go back with him. Back to his territory. I didn't want to spend the rest of the day all alone again. That thought made me feel bad because of course I wouldn't be alone with the caretakers and the kids, but... It had stopped being my home the moment Henry tried to steal Jaden's Echo.

We spent a few moments outside, not really talking much. The mood was gloomy, and way too soon, Natalie appeared next to her car. She stood there without saying a word, just watching me. I knew it was time to go, so I turned to say goodbye to Jaden.

"I'll come visit you this evening," he muttered.

"You shouldn't," I said quietly, no matter how badly I wanted him to come. "It's not safe."

"The fuck I care? I'm an alpha now, I can do what I want," he told me, all huffy and puffy.

I smiled at him, but still, I shook my head with a sigh. "You can't fight against shadows."

"What shadows? The entire town is blasted full of wards," Jaden snorted.

"And yet we're still in constant danger," Arch said quietly.

"It's not gotten any better?" I asked him, and he shook his head.

"I still get bombarded by warnings," he told me. "We're not safe, no matter what they tell us."

"Would you be surprised if I told you I'm not surprised?" I asked, and he gave me a tired smirk. Then I turned to look at Jaden again. "I don't want you to come. If something happens to you..."

The look he gave me hurt my body and soul. I placed my hand on his cheek, trying to find the words to speak, but couldn't. I hoped he could at least feel what I was feeling. Maybe he did, since he sighed loudly.