15.

Tuesday afternoon is a blur. Lucas drops me off back home. The day goes smoothly with Theo giving me the slightest interaction in the halls. A glare. A one-second glance towards my direction. I call it progress.

I finish up some homework. It was now 4:00 pm and I decided that I needed a break. I take out the ingredients to make cookies and start baking. I roll the dough into balls, put them on a baking tray, and shove them in the oven.

As I wait for the cookies to bake I scroll on my phone. 5 minutes in I hear the doorbell go off. I get up from the couch and open the door. I see Theo standing in front of me with his hands in the pockets of his sweats and is wearing a hoodie with the hood up making his face features even darker.

"Hi...what are you doing here?" I step out a little bit and look around to make sure that it's just him.

"Hey um do you have the textbook for Mrs. Henry's class, I left mine in my locker." He asks in a raspy voice showing no emotion.

"Yeah, it's up in my room. Come in. It might take a while for me to find it." I try to avoid eye contact with him. I open the door wider gesturing for him to come inside.

He steps in closing the door behind him. "I'll go find it." He just nods and I run up the stairs.

I go through my desk and it's not there so I go through my backpack. I find it and grab it. I look in the mirror to make sure I look presentable. After running my hands through my hair a couple of times I head back downstairs. Theo is still standing in the same place and position as he did when he came in.

I hand him the book the same time the oven goes off. I walk to the kitchen and Theo follows behind. I put on oven mitts and grab the tray of cookies out of the oven. I set the tray on a cooling rack in front of Theo.

"Want one?" I smirk showing off my cookies.

"Nah, not much of a cookie guy." He says in a smooth and nicer tone.

"What!? Everyone loves cookies. Here, try my cookie. Maybe it will change your mind." I hand him one of my fresh cookies.

He takes a bite. "Not bad Davis." He takes another bite. I smile knowing he likes it enough to take a second bite.

We eat in silence until I hear the garage door open. I see my mom walk in startled by Theo's presence.

"Hi, guys? Athena, I thought you said the dinner was on Friday." She gives an apologetic smile at Theo. He doesn't seem to care and continues to eat his cookie.

"It is. Mom this is Theo Gray. Theo this is my mom, Mary Davis."

"Hi, nice to meet you. Sorry for coming to your house unannounced." Theo shakes my mom's hand. I'm surprised he's being nice. Maybe he's only nice to adults?

"It's fine. Your welcome to stay. You're Megan's son right?" My mom asks

"Yes ma'am." He answers.

"Oh please, call me Mary. Please make yourself at home. I'm just going to head upstairs and rest for a bit."

"Oh no, thank you tho. I should head home anyway." He starts walking towards the door and I follow behind him this time.

"Ok, well it was nice meeting you. I'll see you and your family on Friday for the dinner?"

Theo nods with a fake smile. My mom heads upstairs. I open the door for him.

"Sorry about that. She gets comfortable around people easily. I guess I didn't get that gene." I fake laugh to lighten the awkward tension.

"It's cool. I'll see you around." He says with an emotionless tone again walking away. I wave him goodbye.

He's nicer to a 38-year-old woman than to a person that is the same age as him. His mind likes to work in weird ways.

I lock the door and head back to the kitchen to clean up my mess. My mom and I eat some dinner. I head up to my room and watch some Netflix. I do my night time routine, say good night to my mom, and head off to sleep.

Let's hope he is as nice as he was today for Friday nights dinner.