Here We Are

<<Delilah>>
Ms. Potts and I just sit in the room for a while before anything else happens. She turned on the TV a while ago, but mainly just for background noise. I'm definitely glad since there is something else to focus on other than the awkward silence. I can hear people going passed in the hallway, but no one comes in. I feel like by this time, everyone must know that I'm here, but I can't be sure. I know we'll eventually have to leave the room, but I don't want to think about that. With everything that happened, I don't want to interact with anyone else today.

<<Pepper>>
Even though Delilah isn't saying or doing anything, her mannerisms are very clear. She is terrified, and doesn't know what to do. It's getting later, so I know dinner will be ready soon, but I don't know how Delilah will handle dinner right now. She was nervous enough when she was invited, and now that she's had a stressful day, I don't trust that she won't have a breakdown.

Sure enough, Friday starts talking.

"Ms. Potts. I am to inform you and Delilah that dinner is ready. Boss has said that he will bring dinner to you both if that would be better. What would you like?"

I look at Delilah, and my answer is obvious.

"Please ask him to bring us dinner. Thanks."

I look back at Delilah, and it looks like she's panicking, but I don't know why. Her face is pale, she's fumbling with her hands, and she is focused on one spot on the ground.

"Delilah, what's wrong?" I ask.

She doesn't respond, but I can tell her breathing is getting faster, which isn't a good sign. I move closer to her and put my hand on her back. She immediately flinches and snaps out of whatever trance she was in.

"I'm sorry," I say. "I didn't mean to scare you."

"I'm sorry."

"Delilah, you have nothing to be sorry for. Did something happen? You seemed freaked out for a bit there."

"I just- The- I don't want to be a burden. I'm not supposed to be here."

Suddenly another voice chimes in.

"Technically, you are supposed to be here, but I told you you didn't have to be here because you had a conflict. So, it's fine that you're here."

I look up and see Tony. I hope what he said will call her down a little bit, but you can never be sure with either of them.

I didn't realize before, but Delilah is curled up in an even smaller ball than before. I should've asked Friday to have someone else bring the food since Delilah is intimidated by Tony. She's freaking out, and I don't know why. I can't just ask her because I don't think she knows what's wrong.

"Thank you for bringing dinner, Tony," I say. "I think we'll eat here if you want to go back to the rest of the group."

He gets the hint.

"Okay. If you need anything else, just tell Friday."

We exchange the same look as he leaves. Delilah is hesitant with the food. She just looks at it before even moving.

I grab my plate.

"You can start eating. That's what the food is for."

She picks up her plate, which has a smaller portion.

<<Delilah>>
I start to eat, not wanting to be rude. I'm not really hungry right now, but I know Ms. Potts would say something if I didn't eat. It looks like some sort of casserole, but I don't know how to feel. I only know what a casserole is because of cooking classes and what my classmates have said. I've never had one before.