7 | The Cost of Chaos | 7

Karl POV

I gazed upon the group of opposing rough-housers, holding my spiked nunchakus with a tight grip in my right hand. I took a glance a Nick, grabbing the front of his shirt and pulling him close to me. I locked hands with him.

I'm not letting him get hurt.

"Stay close to me. Only fire that gun when I tell you to." I instructed him. He nodded obediently, obviously not wanting to disobey. I could feel his hands shaking but I couldn't focus on that.

I raced to the group, drawing first blood. I heard gunfire's throughout the front of the abandoned field we fought in. Streaks of light raced through the pouring rain and night sky.

I let go of Nick's hand for the smallest amount of time, running forward and choking the first guy to death with my nunchakus. I dug the spikes of them into his skin, watching my shirt run red with dark blood. I didn't care.

I let him drop to the ground, looking around the field for Nick. I couldn't see him as far as I could look. I grew worried.

"NICK?!" I shouted, only drawing more attention to myself. I felt a bullet graze my arm, leaving a hole in Nick's hoodie and a streak of blood on my left arm. I held the area, my leg dropped, almost making me collapse. That only made me even angrier.

I ran in the direction the bullet flew from, setting eyes on a skinny but rather tall target. I ran in zigzags, avoiding any weapons that might have been launched at me from a distance.

I grabbed his leg, spinning him around and stabbing him in the spine with the nunchakus. He dropped to the ground and blood decorated the glass.

"KARL!" I heard Nick's voice shout from a long distance. I turned my head in the direction I heard it from. "KARL HELP!"

"NICK!" I shouted, running to him. I was out of breath and I tripped over my own feet while running in the rain but I couldn't care less. I needed to reach him. "NICK! CAN YOU HEAR ME?!"

"KARL?!" He shouted again, this time, his voice was more recognizable and close. I could almost feel him in my grasp. I kept running and I knew I wouldn't stop until I reached him.

Eventually, I reached him. But, he wasn't alone. A group of guys were piled on him, one had a gun to Nick's head. Unfortunately, the gun Zak lended him for self defense was across the field.

"Hey!" They all turned their attention to me. "Hands off of him!" I yelled, swinging my nunchakus in a circular motion. I was ready to swing at them during any time, but no one made a move.

Suddenly, the gun was pointed at me. Silence ran through our bones. The only thing heard were the gunshots from in front of main base. I didn't flinch. I didn't move a muscle. I just smirked, standing up regularly.

"Shoot me." I smirked with a hint of confidence. "Shoot me, pussy."

"You know if you shoot me, Karl Jacobs, you'll both be killed immediately. You know exactly why." I stepped closer to him, beginning to swing my nunchakus again.

I could sense that they started trembling. The silence of the scene went thick and I could feel every eye of every person set on me. I, however, only saw their pure flesh to devour.

"Run."

They all raced from the field, dropping their weapons and ducking into a forest of trees by the side of the highway. I laughed, picking up the weapons they left behind and stuffing them in Nick's surprisingly spacious hoodie pockets.

I set my eyes on him, he seemed to be bleeding from his cheek and nose. I melted at the sight of him in pain, running over and immediately checking on him.

"Nick? Nick, are you okay?!" I shook him by the shoulders. He seemed delirious or out of his right mind. I shook my head, picking him up and hauling him on my back. I had to get him inside.

I ran even quicker than before. I felt myself on the verge of vomiting but I held back my urges, running and running until I could hear the gunshots clearly.

I ran through the fighting, keeping Nick held tight and safe on my back. I immediately made my way inside while everyone was preoccupied.

Gunshots shattered the windows inside and some bullets even made their way through the steel walls. I ignored it all, everything going on around me I ignored.

I turned my attention to the near-unconscious Nick laid on my back. I set him up against the wall in a comfortable position and I began looking for a medical kit. I couldn't lose another friend.

I searched through each cabinet in the kitchen until I was forced to switch my searching into the bathroom. After around 2 minutes of frantic searching, I laid eyes on a First Aid Kit.

I immediately ran back to Nick, dropping to my knees and opening the kit. I searched through it, looking for any disinfectant wipes. I ended up finding a few and I cleaned all the cuts I could see from my vision.

Suddenly, Zak and Darryl came busting through the front doors but it didn't seem to  phase me. Not one bit. I continued to clean Nick's bruises and any scars with fresh blood I could see. I topped it all off with bandaids on the areas I cleaned, and finally turned my vision to Zak and Darryl.

"Karl..." Zak panted, he was being held up by Darryl. He looked as if he could collapse at any given moment. "They're bringing more people. We need to get Tommy.. and Tubbo.. and we need to go."

"A midnight fight? Are they insane?! Does boss know?" I immediately came up with frantic questions, reacting to the boy's sudden announcement. He however, responded with a sharp glare.

"We need to go.." He panted, standing up correctly and facing the exit. He began to walk slowly. "Right.. fucking.. now."

"I..Alright.." I gave in, picking up Nick and lugging him on my back once again. This time, I grabbed my nunchakus and the first aid kit.

I followed Zak and Darryl out of the warehouse, running through the rain once again. I didn't mind it though.

We all entered the same black truck we'd arrived in, all in the same positions. This time, we were on high alert. They could try to attack us at any moment. Nick's head fell onto my shoulder, but later plummeted onto my lap. I grinned at that, running my fingers through his hair, I whispered a small "You'll be okay"

After a few minutes of silence, I opened my phone, texting my mom immediately and informing her that I'd be staying with a friend for the night. I knew she would tell me off about it when I got back home but I didn't really care. This was more important.

"Karl.." Darryl sparked up a conversation. I turned my attention to him purely. "Why are you so fond of that boy? What if he's just using you like the rest?"

I felt my heart shatter at those words. I tensed, digging my finger into the leather of my pants. Darryl seemed worried and quickly shushed himself with an apologetic tone. I didn't really care. The words that he spoke hurt me.

"Nick isn't like them, right?" I asked, hesitantly. I was almost pushed to the verge of tears but I held my composure with a stern tone. "He isn't.. scared of me.."

"I'm not that scary."

"Am I?"

•+ Song For This Chapter +•
~ courtesy call ~ thousand foot water ~