Chapter 16

Mia

"Dad I'm home!" I yelled as I walked through the door. Silence. Usually when I get home from school my dad always greets me and if he's not home he always tells me so. Something seems off. I furrow my brows as I drop my bag on the table and make my way through to the kitchen.

"Dad?" I yell a little louder. Then a second later the door to his office slide open and a man walks out. I stop in my tracks. My heart start to beat a little faster now.

"Who are you?" I say before he has the chance to say anything. His smile grows when his eyes land on me. Before he answers me my dad rolls out from behind him. I take a deep breath and calm down a little bit. Okay, so my dad is home. But who the hell is this guy? We never have any visitors.

"Hi darling." He says with a forced smile. I wonder what they were talking about to make my dad this way. He usually is a very happy man and always smiling.

"This is Mr. Argent." He gestures to the  man standing between us. He holds his hand out to me.

"Alison's dad. She's talked about you." He takes my hand with a smile. Why is Alison's dad in our house? Do they know each other?

"Hi." I smiled back at him a bit confused. Mr. Argent turns to my dad and shakes his hand before walking to the front door.

"It was nice catching up Rufus. Been far too long." He doesn't wait for an answer just opens the door and leave. A bit strange. So they do know each other. Maybe from the army? He looked like he could've been there. Or maybe from when my dad used to live here in Beacon Hills when he was my age.

Either way the atmosphere was a bit strange when he left. My dad wouldn't tell me why he was here. He just told me it was for business and that's that. By the time my mom got home I stopped asking him about it. Maybe I could ask Alison if she knew why her dad was at out house.

--

A soft knocking on my door pulled my nose out from my book that I was reading. I looked up as my mom entered my room. I smiled up at her.

"How was school today sweetie?" She asked but I knew what she really wanted to ask me.

"Fine. Just like every other time I've been to high school. It's starting to get boring." I said and sighed. She smiled apologetically.

"Did you learn anything knew?" I rolled my eyes and stood up from my stool and walked over and slumped my body on my bed.

"No. Why don't you just ask me what you came for. I know you don't want to talk about my education." She closed the door behind her and made her way to sit down on my chair. She looked nervous which is something I've never seen her look before. Her nervousness rubbed off on me. I sat up worried and looked at her. Maybe she didn't come to talk about what I was thinking.

"What is it?" I asked looking at her. She took a breath before she spoke.

"Well I know you know about the bodies that were found." She started and looked at me seriously. Is this what she wanted to talk about? The murders, did she come to tell me to be careful? But then why does she look so uneasy. I nodded and urged her to continue.

"It turned out it was the Forgotten Twenty." She said and waited for my reaction. It took me a second before I realized what she was on about. Then it hit me all at once. I stood up from my bed and looked at her with my eyes twice their normal size.

"You're saying they were all.." I started.

"Yeah." She said, looking both sad and relieved that after a long time they were all found again.