Chapter 9

Ethan's POV

I have a son.

It's still shocking. I can't believe it.

I run my hands through my hair in frustration. I pick up the shot glass in front of me and take a sip from it. I really should not be drinking at work but I can't help it.

 This is unbelievable. I can't believe that I have a son. This is too much to take in. Four years I'm gone and the next thing I know is I have a son.

I pour more vodka into the shot glass and drown it at once.  Five days ago I would have been planning on how to take her on a date and tell her I made a mistake but with all this, she's the one that's should be telling me she made a mistake of keeping a huge secret like that from me.

I don't even know his name.

What kind of father doesn't know their son's name?

My office door opens to reveal Nicole. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked annoyed. I really can't deal with her judgmental comments right now.

"I met her?" She says sitting down. She puts her bag on the chair next to her.

"Met who?" I asked internally groaning. 

"Dora." She says as if it's not a big deal. Why can't she could bring up anybody her?

"And why would you do that?" I asked leaning forward.

"Because I wanted to." She shrugged. "I also think she's cool."

"Good for you." I give sarcastic smile. "Now if you'll excuse me I have work."

"You're not going to ask me anything about that?" She asked surprised.

"No." I look back at my computer. 

"What's bordering you?" She asked.

"Nothing," I say opening an email my assistant sent me.

"So your drinking during work hours for nothing?" She crossed her hands leaning into her chair.

"And you're visiting my ex because you feel like." I point out smirking.

"Touché." She nods. "But I only visited her because I wanted to see what made you want to get her and I totally understand because she's changed for the better and I also understand why she wants nothing to do with you."

"What are you talking about?" I asked leaning into my chair.

"Dora is not the same woman you left four years ago. She has gone through public embarrassment and heartbreak. You stood her up on her wedding day. Do you think she want anything to do with you right now?"

"But she could have told me we had a son?" I  ran my hand through my hair in frustration.

"Which wasn't easy because she couldn't be around you at the moment. She probably wanted to tell you later." Nicole defended. I honestly don't know why she's defending her.

"I missed four years of my son's life. Fuck, I don't even know his name. How the hell do you think I feel. She doesn't want me to know him or be around him. She doesn't want me in my son's life!" I snapped at her.

"You didn't tell me that." She said taken back at what I said.

"I know. I didn't want you to try and fix this." I sighed. "I want to fix this myself."

"I'm sorry." She looked down. "I thought you only found out you had a son I didn't think she'll ask you to stay out of his life."

"I'm scared," I admit looking outside taking another gulp from the bottle this time. "I don't know anything about being a father and the timing couldn't be worse. I have enemies. Lots of fucking enemies that would do anything to get rid of an heir."