42

~ phoenix ~

I dared to glance at Ilya from out of the corner of my eye.

Unable to bear the silence any longer, I decided to break it.

"Lovely day isn't it?" I observed innocently, determined to forget the incident.

His eyes flicked to mine fleetingly. "Hmm," he hummed.

I frowned, at his half-hearted response.

"I can't wait to show Rina my new coat," I babbled on, "Damn, I should have got one for her!"

"Hmm."

"Um, Ilya?"

He glanced at me again.

I smiled broadly. "Do you like your new watch?"

I watched him regard the silver watch for a moment, waiting for a reply.

Silence. Then-

"Hmmmmm."

With a defeated sigh, I flopped against the headrest, closing my eyes again. Why did I even try?

"Are you hungry?"

My eyes snapped open. I nodded, enthusiastically. Come to think about it, I was starving. Then, I realised he had his eyes on the road - not on me. "Yes!"

"Good," was the cryptic response.

So he was taking me out to lunch? I closed my eyes once more, this time smiling blissfully. I wasn't complaining.

I felt the car slow until we stopped moving completely. When I looked around, we were parked in front of a towering stone building. It had an ancient air about it: intricate stonework and golden railings. My gaze was to the elegant fountain at the entrance and I could've sworn that I spotted tiny fish in the water. It was a breathtaking sight.

I was so distracted by the view that I hadn't noticed Ilya leave the car. I spotted his figure approaching but before he could open the door, I leapt out first. Nearly losing my footing, my hand jumped to the car to steady me. I spied a set of eyes watching me and raised my chin unashamedly at the amused doorman. I was my own independent woman.

"Добрый вечер сэр." He greeted Ilya with kind eyes, and said a polite "Мэм," when I walked by. [Good evening, sir. Ma'am]

My face split with happiness when the doorman allowed a cheeky grin for me.

I smiled warmly at his aged face. "I'm Phoenix," I said, brightly, shooting my hand out for him to shake.

He looked surprised to see my sudden gesture, but welcomed it anyway. The warm, wrinkled hand enclosed around mine. "Я Maxim," he replied, joyfully. [I am Maxim]

I didn't understand completely. Nonetheless, I tried to repeat what I heard. "Maxim?"

"Да!" [Da, Yes]

If possible, my smile widened triumphantly. I was learning!

Thoughtfully, the old man gestured towards Ilya, who stood watching our exchange intently. I figured he was trying to tell me that he was waiting so with a final smile, I strode in the direction of the brooding male.

"This way," Ilya said, leading me towards an enclosed area.

Our seats were concealed by heavy, velvet curtains. A stunning chandelier lit the cozy area and rose petals were scattered across the table.

Feeling warm, I shrugged off my lilac cardigan and settled into the cushioned chair. Ilya handed me a menu.

"I, um," I mumbled in perplexity as I tried to get an idea of the Russian words. Then, after a quick game of eenie minie moe, my finger descended on 'Квас'.