Chapter 65: Officially Christmas

O F F I C I A L L Y   C H R I S T M A S

———

I want to dream a little dream of you.
~~~

Mal's POV

I had come upstairs to Percy's room, where I was staying for the break, early, leaving everyone downstairs still. I was now sitting cross legged on the bed, staring at Draco's letter in front of me, it was still unopened. I heard a knock on the door and saw the door open, with Fred coming inside, holding a cup of hot chocolate.

"What's the point of knocking if you'll just come in anyway?" I asked and he shrugged, placing the hot chocolate on the bedside table.

"Talk to me Mal." He said, sitting down next to me and taking the same position I did. "About this letter." He pointed at Draco's letter.

"What's there to talk about? He had the audacity to send me a letter, as if he thought I would actually read it. I mean: the audacity. The nerve. After the shit he pulled in school a couple days ago, he expects me to... what? Forget? That he's called me a heartless bitch? And a..." I trailed off and was relieved when I realized he hadn't heard me. "Anyway. So I won't read it. He's said everything he had to say. I'm trying to move on with my life, he should too." I informed Fred as I stood up and went to shove the letter into a pocket in my bag.

"Well, I think that's good Mal. You deserve someone much better than him. You deserve to be happy. By the way," he pointed at the clock, "it's 12:01. Merry Christmas, pancakes." He hugged me and kissed my forehead. "Come on, let's get some sleep, or else 'Santa' won't get us any presents." He teased as he laid down next to me and pointed his wand at the light switch so the light turned off.

I laid there next to him for a couple minutes, and while I heard his breathing steady, an indication he had fallen asleep, I couldn't stop thinking about what Fred said about being happy. And I recalled a conversation that Draco and I had about religion. I sighed, curling up under the blankets and clasped my hands together, closing my eyes and looking up at the roof as I attempted to do something I've never done: pray.

'Dear God,

is that how you're supposed to start? I don't know, I've never really done this praying thing before. I'm sorry.

Anyway, God, please help Draco. I know he hates being with his parents, especially at Christmas, please make his father not hit him. Please make him be on the right path, I'm sorry I couldn't do it. I tried. I swear I did.

Oh, sorry, not supposed to swear. But you saw it, right? You saw how much I tried.

I thought I saw the light in him, I thought I saw the good. And that's why I left. Because I wasn't going to be the one to damage all the good. He deserves everything good in life after a crappy deal of a life he's been dealt.

Shit, sorry, not supposed to say that. Wait, sorry again.

But please, help him. And, if you have time, please help me get over him.

Please. I'm begging you. It hurts to breathe. I have a literal aching pain in my chest that won't go away. I know it's because of him. Being away from him physically hurts me, and this letter... it just hurt even more. I feel like no matter how much water I drink, I still haven't gotten the amount needed to survive. Please take that away. I need to know it's possible to be happy without him. No, I know I will never be happy without him, but at least let me survive without him. Because at this rate, I don't know how this is living.

And please help Mione, and Ron, and Harry. My sister needs to survive, please. All three of them do. Please don't make me have to survive without them.

Umm... okay. Thanks, God.

Oh... p.s. please keep Cedric, Sirius, my mom, Damien, and Dumbledore happy in Heaven. Have them jump around clouds or something. And thank you so much for the Weasleys, please take good care of them, especially of Fred. He's my rock. Alright, thanks.'

———

"MERRY CHRISTMAS!" I groaned when I felt someone jump on the bed. I opened my eyes and glared at Fred, George, and Ginny.

"Yeah, yeah. Ho ho ho. Now OUT!" I said as I covered my face with the pillow.

"No. We have guests. Let's go." Ginny said as she snatched away the pillow.

I groaned but got up and headed to the bathroom to wash my face and brush my teeth. I looked at my face in the mirror and observed how completely fine I looked. I look fine. To absolutely anyone who saw me they would think I'm fine. But I'm not. I'm anything but fine. And it's all because of him. I opened the door and headed downstairs, smiling wide when I saw Lupin and Tonks.

"LUPIN!" I yelled and ran down to jump into his arms and hug him tightly.

"Hi sweetheart." He said and placed a kiss on my forehead.

"Tonks! Oh my god you're glowing!" I smiled at her and rushed over to hug her carefully.

"Thank you, I think it has something to do with this lad." She said and pointed to her swollen stomach. "Do you mind?" She raised her eyebrows at me and I nodded knowingly. I placed my hand on her stomach and concentrated for a couple moments.

"You're baby's fine. He's the picture of health." I smiled at her.

"Natural born talent, who needs healer school?" Lupin teased.

"I do, that is if they even accept me." I said.

"Nonsense. They will. They can't let someone with your talent go to waste. And we were thinking... we can't either." Tonks said as she looked at Lupin and he headed over to hug her from behind. "We want you to be the baby's godmother."

"I would be so honored. Thank you." I reached up to hug both of them. "I won't fail you."

"We know." They both said and smiled at me.

"Time for presents." Molly sing-songed and we all gathered around the living room tree.

We all exchanged presents, smiling at how each of us got a sweater from Molly, even the future baby got a tiny sweater with the letter "T" on it, since we've all been calling him "Teddy" out of endearment. Fred had gifted me a small snow globe, with a live picture of us singing yesterday. How did he do it? I have no idea. But he promised he would teach me later. And I plan on holding him to that. George had allowed me to take up to 5 things from their store for free, something we all laughed at when we recalled how they wouldn't even do that for their own brother. Ginny had given me a pink, blue, and purple friendship bracelet she had made herself, which I immediately promised I would never take off. Lupin and Tonks gave me a book on all the basic spells and potions a healer would need to know, claiming that I would learn all of it very quickly. Overall, it was a very nice attempt.

But still, I miss the holidays with my family.

And Draco. God, I miss Draco.