Chapter 9

Growing Closer

Seasons change, people grow together and apart, life moves on. You will be okay, embrace it." – Alexandra Elle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was Friday and yet another week had passed. The temperatures had been in the low thirties all week, making it extremely difficult to find the will to get out of bed. Today was no different, especially since we had an away game.

I was so not looking forward to freezing my ass off for 90 minutes.

Nevertheless, I forced myself to get up and get ready for school. After quickly brushing my teeth and throwing on the first pair of legging and oversized knitted sweater I found, I pulled my hair into a messy bun and grabbed my jacket.

I never did understand those people who got up early as hell to take a shower and get all dolled up.

Throwing two strawberry pop tarts into the toaster, I made myself a to-go cup of coffee as I waited for my food to be ready.

Breakfast of champions, I know.

Shoving my sugary breakfast into a paper towel, I grabbed my school bag and coffee, and headed out the door. I was trying to balance all of my baggage so that I could unlock my door, when I was greeted by an unexpected sight.

There, lying against my car, was none other than Aiden. I wish I could say I was even remotely surprised, but if I've learned anything in the past few months, it's to expect the unexpected from him.

"And what exactly are you doing here?" Yes, I know. I sound like a broken record around him. It's not my fault he has a habit of showing up unexpected and making me ask the obvious.

"Well, good morning to you too." Aiden smirked, pushing himself off my car so that he could grab my backpack which was slipping off my shoulder.

"Again, what are you doing here?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

Aiden chuckled. "I'm giving you a ride to school today." He didn't wait for me to reply as he began walking off with my backpack, giving me no choice but to follow him.

God, he has got to stop doing this!

I let out a frustrated groan as the two of us made our way out of my garage and towards his car which was parked on the street. Throwing my stuff in the backseat, Aiden opened the passenger door for me and waited until I got settled before closing it.

By the time he was all buckled in and ready to start driving, I had already turned in my seat so I could properly face him. "I'm still waiting for an explanation."

"You can keep waiting, princess." He flashed me a smile, not once taking his eyes off the road.

"Ugh!" I groaned. "You are quite possibly the most infuriating person I have ever met on this planet! Why must you always be so cryptic. Is it really that hard to just give me a fucking explanation for once?"

Can you tell I haven't had my coffee yet?

"You're feisty in the morning." Aiden chuckled as he handed my coffee travel mug which I had stored in between our seats.

Taking the delicious beverage out of his hands, I inhaled deeply. "What can I say, coffee helps maintain my amazing personality."

"Clearly." Aiden snorted.

I just rolled my eyes at him as I began eating my forgotten poptarts. They had gotten cold by now, but oh well. They were still good.

I was munching on my food and messing around with the radio in Aiden's car when I felt his eyes on me. "What?" I mumbled with a mouthful of food.