12 | within the ring

"Why are you here?" Carter directs his question to the man.

There is a tone of annoyance in his voice. His fingers are curled into fists, his clenched jaw, and the way his eyes throw daggers at the man are all signs that he isn't pleased to see him.

"Melody called. Your father needed medicine," the man replies, his gaze flickering to me for a moment.

It doesn't take another second for Carter before he is rushing past the both of us to enter the house. I follow him, throwing a last glance at the strange man whose eyes follow me. I hear the door being closed behind me as I run in the direction where Carter is headed.

I find Carter in a room that is devoid of any furniture except for a bed and wardrobe. The sunlight enters through the open window, giving the small space a yellow glow. When I step in, I find Carter sitting on the bed beside his Dad.

Mr. Bell's eyes are closed and he looks like he is asleep. His face appears thinner, the cheekbones too visible and there are dark circles underneath his eyes. He is covered with a heavy white blanket up to his chest. His head is positioned in a manner on the pillow to allow easier breathing.

Carter puts a palm on his Dad's forehead to check his temperature. Melody stands beside them, looking at the duo with concern on her face.

"Dad?" Carter says softly, then turns to Melody. "What happened?"

"He was having trouble breathing. Complained of bone pain for a while," Melody says. She looks at the man standing behind me now. "I had to call Mark to ask him to bring the doctor."

"What did the doc say?" Carter asks, his eyes roaming worriedly over Mr. Bell's body.

"He said it was one of his attacks. It's pretty normal. Gave some painkillers before he left."

"Why didn't you call me?" Carter snaps, getting up to face Melody.

I can't see the expression on his face nor can I see Melody but the conversation doesn't seem to be going in a good way by the sudden change of atmosphere in the room.

"You're at school," Melody defends herself in a timid voice.

"Oh, for God's sake, Melody! That's not a reason. I asked you to call me if something happens. I'm the one who knows about Dad's health." He runs his fingers through his hair and face. He sighs, turning to face Melody again who is fixed to her spot, her eyes downcast. "Please call me, Melody. I'm the one who pays you."

It surprises me to hear that from him. A boy his age isn't supposed to pay for his Dad's treatment but more than that, I find myself pondering the question of how he pays her. In the two days I have been here, he has only been outside for one night.

The night he returned injured

"Carter?" I call out to him before I can stop myself. He turns around, looking like he has forgotten about me. I don't blame him. The mere fact that he even remembers to bring me back home is enough for me. "Is everything okay? Will Mr. Bell be alright?"

Something flickers in his eyes. He looks back at his Dad. The sound of Mr. Bell's soft snoring is the only sound that breaks the silence of the room.

"He's okay," I hear Carter say with a voice that sounds like he is saying it to convince himself.

He leans down, placing a kiss on Mr. Bell's forehead.

Being here suddenly feels intimidating. These people share a relationship. They are a family and I am a stranger among them. It feels like I am invading their privacy. Maybe that's the reason Melody keeps spying on me and Carter. I can feel a corner of her glare still focused on me.