vi.

"This is making my brain hurt

"This is making my brain hurt." Dorcas groans as she looks at the chessboard, sitting across Cassiopeia, who is paging through a book as she waits for Dorcas to make her move. "When I taught you how to play, it wasn't meant for you to outsmart me!"

"Everything Cassiopeia learns she ends up excelling in it." Marlene points out as she glances at the board curiously. All five girls are sitting at one of the tables in the Great Hall. Marlene, Lily and Mary are trying to study, but sometimes getting distracted by the chess game going on.

"That's not true. I can't seem to figure out Defense Against the Dark Arts." Cassiopeia says with a huff as she glances at the blonde over her book.

"Well we all know you want to become the Potions Professor, so no worries about that." Lily points out, making Cassiopeia shrug and watch as Dorcas moves her Rook to A6, putting it right in the path of her Bishop.

"Bishop to A6." Cassiopeia hums, making her Bishop move to the Rook and destroy it, making Dorcas huff. Cassiopeia smiles sheepishly as she moves the broken pieces of the Rook off the board.

"Merlin's sake." Dorcas groans, making Cassiopeia giggle.

"Happy Monday my nerds." James exclaims as he and the other boys join them. Remus sits down next to Dorcas and Sirius next to Cassiopeia. "Who's winning?"

"Looks like Cassie is." Remus muses as he looks at the board carefully, making Sirius grin proudly.

"That's my girl." He says happily as he raise his hand for her to high five and she blushes as she does it.

"Queen to F5." Dorcas hums and Cassiopeia looks back at the board. She bites her lip in thought as she looks at the board. In the two moves she could get a stalemate, but she didn't want to end on a stalemate, she wanted to end on checkmate.

"Knight to C4." Cassiopeia says, making Remus raise an eyebrow.

"You could have done a stalemate." Remus points out and she shrugs.

"I know. But I'd rather end it on checkmate." She admits and Dorcas playfully glares at her.

"So are we going to do anything exciting today other than play chess and study?" Peter asks, making the girls look at him and shrug.

"I think I'm going up to the Astronomy tower after this." Cassiopeia says, making Dorcas look at her with a pout.

"No rematch?" Dorcas asks, making her shake her in denial.

"No way. If we start the whole rematch thing, it'll end up with us playing all week." Cassiopeia points out and Dorcas snickers as she nods in agreement.

"Hey, Dor. Maybe you can help me with something after." Marlene says, making Dorcas look at her and nod with a soft smile.

"Oh, Cassie. Could we come up with you in the Astronomy Tower? You could show the boys your paintings." Lily asks, making Sirius perk up at the idea.