Chapter 28

All winter we've been running trying to make it through without getting sick or bit. We've been doing the same thing the past few months drive till we see a place to rest at and hopefully hole up that night. Today is no different we see a house and daryl stops the bike and I hop off grabbing my bat slowly making our way to the front door. Rick kicks it open and shoots a walker t-dog goes in after, then I follow with daryl and carl behind; I go upstairs and make my way through the hallway to a room with the door slightly ajar.

I raise my bat and slowly push open the door cringing when the hinges sqeal. Not seeing any walkers I look through drawers trying to find something of use. After finding nothing I walk out and run into daryl in the hallway carrying a dead owl "That dinner" He holds it up and shrugs his shoulder. We walk back down stairs and stop in the living room, I'm sitting beside daryl getting feathers thrown in my face.
Everybody comes in a sits down trying to rest from the long hungry winter; carl runs in and sets a can down I see a dog on it 'Dogfood' wrinkling my nose he opens the can, Rick walks by and picks up the can looking at it he chucks it inti the fireplace making daryl flinch and hit me with the dead owl.

T-dog gives the signal for walkers and we grab everything and rush out the back. I get on the back of the bike after daryl and we drive out of the driveway with everyone else following behind us; We come to a stop a few miles away from the house. Getting off the bike I walk to the car as maggie and glenn put the map on the hood. "We've got no place left to go" t-dog states "When this herd meets up with us we'll be cut off we'll never make it south" maggie conformed and points at the map.
"What you say there's about hundred fifty ahead?" Daryl stops beside me asking glenn. I raise my head from the map looking at glenn "That's last week could be twice that by now" I sigh 'Damn it' "This river could of delayed them if we move fast we might have a shot to tear right through th-" "Yeah but if this group joins with that they could spill out this way." T-dog interrupts and I put my head back sighing "Great we're blocked" I chuckle dryly "Only thing to do is double back to twenty-seven swing toward greenville."

T-dog scratches the back of his neck "Yea but we picked through that already it's like we spent the winter going in circles." Rick nods his head "Yea I know I know but at noon noon we'll push west haven't been through there yet, we can't keep goin house to house need to find someplace to hold up for a few weeks." Rick looks at lori sitting in the truck "All right is it cool we get to the creek before we head out it won't take long we can boil it later." T-dog asks and I walk over to the bike getting in the side bag and pull out my water bottle and a bottle of prenatal vitamins.

Walking over to the car I knock on the door before opening it "Hey lori I uh brought you some water and a bottle of vitamins I found a few days ago." I hand her the vitamins which she takes from my hand "There's not many but hopefully they'll do some good" I hand her the water bottle "No I don't want your water you need it." I sigh before setting it on the dash and shutting the door; Rick walks over "Daryl and I are going huntin can you keep and eye on everything while we're gone." I nod my head "Of course good luck with the hunting" he pats my shoulder before walking off with my uncle.

I lean against the car and look around to make sure everyone that should be here is here. I see carl looking around like a cat trying to see the tape on top of its head, smiling I walk up to him standing next to him without saying anything. "Ya know if you relaxed your muscles and your mind you wouldn't have to look so hard" He looks up at me "I think I know what I'm doing malice" I let a small smile form on my face. "Carl have you ever tried looking for something and can't find it" he doesn't look at me "Yea" I bend down to his height "Well keeping watch is kinda the same thing if you think about what your looking for your brain only focuses on that one thing but if you relax, your brain will focus on everything." He looks over at me with his brow furrowed.