Chapter 56

Nearly four months have passed, and yet no news of him came. Not even a single utter of his name.

Spring was already passing the middle of its season, that brought upon life. This also indicated his long absence.

With the sun rising, already awake was Princess Wen Yue who sat in bed. She was reading a familiar book held in her hands, still dressed in her night gown.

This was a favorite of her deceased brother, Wen Chen. It is a collection of poems with the overall title being, The Melancholy of Ying.

The princess knew her husband had a copy of his own in his study, being that she was there before. Not wanting to be rude by intruding his space, she decided to send someone to sought after it.

This collection of poems, was only available within the Wei Kingdom, her homeland. The reason being is because only a few were ever made.

Eventually, she reached a particular section of the book.

"Yearning Heart"

That was her younger brother's favorite to read.

And so, her lips moved to share it with the world.

"Notes drift through the breeze,
Yearning for its beholder,

Yet the one who plucks,
Does not know,

The heart wrenching,
Memoirs replay,

A tune of enchantment sweeps,

The one who seeks,
Has come,

Heaven has gone,
All is lost,

The one who seeks,
Shall cease the loss,

Down comes revelation,
The heart remains."

She went silent for a few seconds, as though she forgot all else. Then, she softly sighed to herself, shutting the book. Those eyes of hers looked down to her lap with a small frown forming upon her rosy lips.

"Maybe one day, I'll come back to visit you, Chen." speaking in a whisper.

To go back and tell him the moments he missed with her. The princess wanted him to catch up on everything these past years, share a laugh, and maybe even sorrowful moments.

Wen Yue knew that even if it looked she were talking to herself, deep down she wasn't. Somewhere, he would be there doing what she would do, sharing the same emotions, and wishing her the best.

After all, that's what family is.

Later that evening, sat the princess on her outside porch as she tuned her instrument, and drank freshly brewed tea along with snacks. Right beside her, sat Lin who shared the treats for the night.

With both their cups empty, the servant poured another for the two.

"Lin," called Wen Yue.

"Yes, Your Highness?" she mumbled as she placed the pot down and pushed the filled cup towards the princess.

The young woman chuckled, "Thank you," she briefly spoke gaining a nod from her.