Chapter 16

I thought it would be too cruel to leave you guys on that kind of cliffhanger, and besides, I had this chapter ready to go!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Why were you after her," Anakin said, placing his hands firmly on the table in front of the prisoner. His voice was serious and cold. Not harsh, just firm. 

"Why would I tell you that?" the shooter scoffed. Anakin narrowed his eyes but took a deep breath. Lashing out wouldn't help anyone right now. 

"Fine. We'll start with a different question. Are you a bounty hunter, and if so, who hired you?" 

"Listen, Jedi," he said, leaning closer to the table, "Yeah, I'm a bounty hunter, and I can't tell you who hired me. They're one of my most loyal clients. Why would I throw all that money away by telling you?" 

"Because you're going to be spending quite a while behind bars, and you won't mean much to this client if you can't work for them." Anakin countered.

"Look, I'll tell you this much. The person who hired me wanted her dead. That's all I'm saying."

"Yeah, I got that when I saw you try to kill her," Anakin growled. He tried to think of anytime someone had a grudge or anything against Saasha to help him solve this deadly puzzle. 

"Was it the Separatists?" Anakin pressed, remembering how they were after her as a kid. 

"What do you not understand about the phrase 'I'm not talking'?" The bounty hunter rose his voice. Anakin could sense this struck a nerve with him and that there was a good chance it was the Separatists behind this, or more specifically Dooku. 

"Were there others hired for this job too?"

"I have no idea. Maybe now that I'm stuck in this dump." he sneered.

"Bring him to his cell," Anakin said, standing straight as the clones behind him came to escort the bounty hunter. 

Anakin started walking back to the med bay in the temple, hopefully getting news on Saasha's condition.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I just don't understand who could be behind this," Anakin said, pacing outside of the medbay. 

"The only people I could think of are the Seppies since they tried to catch her as a kid," Rex said, leaning against the wall. 

"Yeah, me too, but they didn't want her dead; they wanted her alive. Why would they try to kill her now and especially after all these years?" Anakin replied. 

Kix appeared from the sliding medbay doors before Rex could reply. 

"She'll be fine, Sir. I honestly have no idea how, but her head is all clear, so it's only the blaster wounds to worry about, which are just flesh wounds and will hopefully heal fairly quickly with the stitches." Kix announced. Anakin and Rex both let out a sigh of relief that she was fine. Anakin hadn't realized he'd been holding his breath from uneasiness. 

The two followed Kix through the medbay to her room. She was awake and laying on the bed, her arm in a sling, he guessed to relieve pressure on her shoulder, and her shoulder and arm were bandaged covering the stitches. Her face lit up and he could sense relief fill her to see that they were both ok. 

"You gave us a scare, Squirt," Anakin said, crossing his arms with a smile on his face. 

"I seriously don't know how you don't at least have a concussion," Kix said while cleaning up the room. She shrugged but slightly winced from the movement in her shoulder.