53

A chilly wind brushed through the clearing. It was eerily silent if you didn't count the quiet trill of birds.

There stood Dream, all on his own. He was drenched in red, blue and orange. He rubbed his eyes. Why couldn't he remember anything? The sticky substance smeared across his face and he ignored it, more concerned about the absence of his friends. Suddenly everything became so much more threatening than he remembered. He recognized that he was in the land of the dead, but it felt deranged and almost mocking. Like every tree that surrounded him was whispering about what he'd become. What he'd become? The fur along his ears bristled as he whipped around, watching the open land for any sign of movement. Where was George and Eret? He wasn't sure. He had woken up to being completely alone. Even the bags were gone. They wouldn't have left without him, right?

He took a shaky breath and winced at how loud it was. He didn't want to attract attention. He slowly glanced up at the sky. It appeared to be early in the morning, but not so early it was dark.

He brushed the snow out of his hair, noticing the white flecks that were drifting calmly from the sky. They felt so out of place. He slowly took a step forward, flinching with a sharp inhale when the snow crunched. It was so much louder than it should be. His ears were practically ringing. He slowly took another step and the same thing happened.

Another breeze rustled the trees and Dream had to close his eyes and plug his ears from the noise. He sucked in air through his clenched teeth again and slowly opened an eye. He couldn't help but tremble. What was happening? All he knew was he desperately wanted to see George.

He turned to look around, noticing a clean trail of red. Just like the stuff that stained his face, hands, and hoodie. He turned curiously, forcing himself to ignore the noise as he walked towards it. He crouched down and blinked. It was almost blindingly bright. Then he noticed a brighter, sky blue trail that started not too long after the one he'd been examining.

He stood up again and slowly followed the red until he reached the blue. Again, it felt oddly familiar. He looked down at his hoodie, noticing the blue splatter marks that tore across the red. He then bent down to look at that one too. He didn't dare touch it, growing more and weary as he decided to see where the paths led.

Something felt horribly off. Dream noticed the gnaw of hunger he had. He also noticed that every once in a while there were colorful smears on the lower parts of the tree trunks. Sometimes it was blue, sometimes it was red. He also noticed that they were vaguely resembling a hand, just much more... smeared. It looked a bit more like a blob.

He traveled for quite a while, deeper and deeper into the forest. Then he noticed the trails took a sharp turn and an orange one joined with a horrible splatter mark at the beginning. A sickening feeling filled him. It looked like someone had taken a paint bucket and dropped it.

He slowly followed the trails, his breath caught in his throat. He paused, his ears twitching as he listened for anything. Anything at all, yet his ultra sensitive hearing didn't pick up anything. The trails had started to get more raggedy, alarming the blonde. He bit his lip, unsure of if he wanted to continue or not. After a moment of hesitation he kept walking, wincing at the clamor it caused.

He pushed through a bush, hissing and shutting his eyes tight at the painful, horrible, loud racket. He opened them once it calmed but stumbled backwards, falling right back into it. His breath was quick puffs. He rubbed his eyes and sat back up, peering dangerously into the clearing.

His hands covered his mouth in a silent cry as he stared at the sight before him.

There lay his friends. Each individual drenched in a separate color. Eret lay on his back, Red glistening unnaturally against his black wings. George was turned away from Dream on his side, sky blue blending in with his shirt. Then there was Sapnap. Probably the most horrific of the three. There were giant tear marks from claws of some sort across his back. Not too mention he was on his stomach, letting the orange shine even brighter, permanently staining his shirt. He raced forward, feeling mildly guilty that his first instinct was to shoot over to George.

He gently cradled the brunette's head. His perfect, soft hair soaked with a much too cheery sky blue. Dream struggled to take another inhale. Choking on a sob. When did this happen? How did this happen? Why did this happen? He shook his head to clear his thoughts and then remembered his hoodie as a new sinking feeling filled him.

" Noo... " He whispered to himself, slowly looking down at it again. There was now a lot more blue than the rest on it, but he could still see plenty of red and orange covering his sleeves. " Did... Did I do this? " He asked himself in barely a whisper, his voice trembled with him.

He tried to frantically wipe at his eyes but he couldn't stop the overflow of tears. He finally took a long shaky inhale and cradled George closer to him.

He burrowed his face in the shorter boy's hair but it felt unnatural. That was when he noticed how cold he was. He sniffled and wiped at his eyes in a vain attempt to clear his vision.

He slowly let go of George and covered his eyes with his hands, tilting his face up towards the sky. " Wh-what did I do-o? " His voice cracked.

He sat there for what felt like forever, torturing himself even further by forcing himself to stick around his friends.

Suddenly he heard the crunch of snow and looked up, face to face with the man. The guy who had held him hostage. He blanched and shut his eyes tight, wishing it all away.

And then he woke up.

Might draw this scene >:)) 

Edit: I drew it hehe

This was honestly so much fun to write. I love doing occasional dream sequences.  

Anyhow, I don't have a lot of news for today. Today's been boring. Just a bunch of midterm exams. 

I hope y'all are staying safe and healthy!

Love y'all!!!

Moony <3