CHAPTER 1•01

Spirits

Dawn watched as the casket was laid in the ground, her family surrounding her as she didn't have anymore tears to give for the lost of her grandmother. She knew this day would come, crying before hand so she didn't have to look weak in front of her people and family. Persephone was truly gone, forever, and Dawn couldn't stop thinking about it. She couldn't help but feel like she truly wasn't completely gone. The girl watched as people started giving their speeches about her grandmother and how great she was towards them, making Dawn feel like she was less since she had big shoes to fill in her grandmother's place.

She felt a hand intertwine with her own, making her smile up at Bolin and give him an okay look. He knew this was hard on her, and she just wanted it all to end.

When the service was over, the candles everyone was holding were still placed around her stone to represent all the people's hearts she had touched. Dawn sat by the fountain, listening to the water flow behind her and Bolin was reading about the facts of the Fire Nation as this was his first time being there.

"So, we could go look at the market place, have some sight seeing with statues, or my personal favorite, going to the hidden cave where Avatar Aang had his school dance party." Bolin said while Dawn chuckled slightly, shaking her head as her hair curled around her face.

"Seriously? You want to go to some measly, cave hopper infested hole?" She asked, Bolin pouting slightly.

"It can't be that bad." He said while the girl crossed her arms over her chest.

"Bolin, you hate bugs." She told him confidently as Bolin gave up.

"Fine, you're right. I just thought maybe walking around would help you get a little better." He said, rubbing her back as she leaned in to give him a kiss on the lips.

She felt Bolin move away for a moment, and he cleared his throat. "I think your grandfather, brother, and mom are staring." He said while Dawn furrowed her eyebrows and looked behind her.

Bolin was indeed right, her whole family was staring at her and Bolin, but she sighed and looked to him and gave him a shy grin. "Would it be a bad time for you to meet my family?" She asked, rubbing the back of her neck as Bolin gasped dramatically.

"You mean to tell me that I'm going to meet Fire Lord Zuko." He squealed, Dawn nodding her head with a smile as she got up from the fountain and grabbed Bolin's hand.

She walked him over towards the other side, seeing my grandfather give her a smile and her brother had a pout while her mother didn't make a move.

"Grandfather, since you seem to be the only grateful one, this is Bolin." She said, pushing Bolin forward as he swallowed his excitement and shook the man's hand.

"It's finally great to meet you, Bolin." He said looking to his granddaughter. "Dawn has told me about you." He added while Dawn blushed.

"Grandfather, stop." She breathed out and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. Bolin smiled lovingly, looking at Iroh and Izumi as they were not impressed. Iroh crossed his arms over his chest and looked to his mother.

"What makes you think that you're good enough for my sister?" Iroh asked and Dawn gave him a look.

"Iroh, stop." She sneered and the prince sighed.

"I'm just watching out for you, that's all." He tried to tell her as the two started bickering and Izumi smirked as Dawn was occupied and she looked to Bolin.

"So, you think you're good enough for my daughter?" Izumi asked, and Bolin looked at Dawn as she was smacking her brother's arm and yelling insults at him.

"I know I'm not good enough for your daughter, Fire Lord Izumi, but I promise you that I will certainly do everything and anything for her. Even if that meant to try and be good enough." Bolin said, Izumi seeing the twinkle in his eyes and she nods her head and pats the boy on the back.

"I think you're good for her, but as a warning, if you so much as hurt her I will come after you with my dragon." She smiled wickedly, walking towards her children and telling them to stop fighting as Bolin was scared for just a moment.

<><><>

Dressed in her air bending training garbs, Dawn held her hair in a high ponytail and her eyes glaring at her opponent as she was waiting for the right moment.

"Now, Dawn, air bending is about freedom, mostly defensive as you want someone to use their bending energy before you use your own." Tenzin said, the girl nodding her head as she took a moment to think about how she was going to do this. "Mako, go whenever." Tenzin said as the boy nods his head.

Mako took the first step, and Dawn saw the flames heading in her direction as she flipped out of the way, cartwheeling next to Mako and with a gust of wind, pushing him back softly as he fell, but she placed a whirlwind of air under him to catch him.

She let him down softly, eyes a soft grey that glowed and she stopped as Tenzin raised an eyebrow. "Well, I mean, that's one way to do that." He shrugged his shoulders as Dawn sighed.

"I'm struggling. I know, but I shouldn't even be air bending." She told him, looking down at her hands. "It should be Korra, not me. Why would I have air bending?" She asked, and Tenzin thought for a moment.

"Your grandmother went through the same thing, her water bending came at a time that the Avatar needed it and it just took her a moment to realize that she had it. You needed a new form of bending in a time of need, Dawn." He told her and she sighed, looking to Mako who couldn't even look at her.

"I guess you're right." She whispered.

<>•<>•<>•

| Edited |