CHAPTER 1•03

The Southern Lights

As Dawn and Korra made it towards Unalaq early in the morning, Dawn with bags under her eyes and a warm cup of tea in her hand to try and wake herself up as Korra was bouncing with excitement.

"You're early." Unalaq greeted the two girls, surprised by how prepared they were for the spirit training.

"What can I say? I'm pumped up to learn that Unalaq spirit fighting." Korra said as Dawn rolled her eyes.

"One of us is, the other wishes to have had more time to sleep." Dawn muttered into her cup, glaring at the hot liquid inside. "And this tea is doing nothing for me." She breathed out angrily, cursing her great third uncle for making her an addict at such a young age.

"I'm not here to teach you to fight spirits. I'm here to help you begin your spiritual training. We're going to one of the most remote places in the world- - the long-neglected spiritual center of Korra's tribe: the South Pole. And Dawn, you will also soon trust me as now I am your teacher." He stated, looking to Dawn who just have him a fake smile.

"You're gonna train us at the South Pole?" Korra asked.

"Why all the way there?" Dawn asked him, confused on why they had to make such a long journey to learn about spirits.

"We will do more than just train. By neglecting the spirits, the people of the south have brought darkness upon themselves, and now it threatens to destroy our tribe. We must set things right. The Southern Water Tribe depends on you two." Unalaq told them, Dawn frowning as she looked towards the people of the south.

"A dangerous trip to the South Pole? Count me in." Korra said while Dawn sighed.

"And I guess I have to drag along." She teased, Korra smiling at her proudly and holding her hand.

"Thanks, Dawn." She whispered, glad that her friend is always supporting her.

<><><>

Dawn was helping pack her things for the long and dangerous trip that Korra kept talking about for everyone to be prepared and Dawn just felt something off about it. She couldn't place her finger on it, but every time Unalaq talked about how much they were helping, she felt as if there was another motive behind it.

She just stuck it in the back of her list as she was here to help protect and support Korra. "I thought you said Bolin was coming." Korra said to Mako, the boy placing the bags on Naga's saddle for the trip.

"He said he'd be here, but I can't worry about it. I have to make sure you and Dawn have everything you guys need for a safe trip." Mako told his girlfriend while Dawn chuckled.

"Mako, we do have everything we need. Korra and I are the unstoppable team together." She teased, wrapping her arm around Korra's shoulder.

"Thanks, captain expedition, but we will be fine." Korra smiled and grabbed Dawn by the arm as she flipped her over and pushed her into a pile of snow.

"Korra!" Dawn yelled, snow piled on top of her head while the couple laughed.

As they seemed to have everything situated, an engine hummed next to them, capturing their attention and Dawn got up as she dusted herself off and allowed her hair to freely curl back up as she smiled.