twenty-eight

happy new year!
this is this week's second chapter! make sure you've read 27 :)

edited: april 7, 2021
✺✺✺

(Y/N) looks around the dining pavilion, searching for three— two people in particular. Unfortunately, Grover and Percy are across from each other at Poseidon's table next to Athena's, so (Y/N) sighs, putting her act of indifference on. She walks over to their tables, leaning back on the edge next to Annabeth, "Hola, my dudes."

"(Y/N), how are you?" Grover asks.

She shrugs, reaching over onto his plate and grabbing an apple slice. "I'm okay. You?"

Grover starts rambling about how he wished he never had to wake up, and (Y/N) glances over at Annabeth with concern, who sighs. "He's been hating the world today," she explains in a whisper, and (Y/N) nods in understanding.

"Anyway," she starts when Grover pauses, "I've got some news."

Annabeth and Grover look up in interest, while Percy fiddles with a piece of toast, not even sparing her a glance. (Y/N) notices this, and her heart sinks a bit, but she brushes it off. "I'm—"

"Attention, campers!" (Y/N) is cut off by Chiron yelling above the chatter in the pavilion.

All heads turn to the centaur, who waits for silence before speaking. "Next week, we are going to have a camp tournament. I encourage you all to participate. There will be a series of challenges, and whoever wins..." he pauses in thought before sighing, "If you win, you get bragging rights. Come to me if you would like to enter!"

He waves the campers off before turning and walking away from the pavilion, and the area fills with sound again as everyone starts talking about the tournament. "Are you gonna compete, (Y/N)?" Annabeth asks, and the daughter of Persephone looks around the talking campers. She notices eyes focused on her, no doubt wondering the same question.

"Uh, no, I'm not," she responds, and the campers who heard her response spread it like wildfire. (Y/N) picks up a few sentences through the already-present conversations.

"Did you hear that? (Y/N)'s not competing."

"Thank the gods."

"Maybe we'll stand a chance now."

"Imagine allying with her. You'd be unstoppable!"

(Y/N) chuckles softly at their comments, turning her focus back to her friends.

Well, the two friends that she's managed to keep and one who hates her, that is.

"Chiron's assigned me a quest," she tells them, and Percy's head tilts up a bit at the words. He keeps his attention on his food, but he continues to listen to her. "I'm leaving in an hour or two and I'll be gone for the next week."

"What is it?" Grover asks, and (Y/N) gives him an apologetic smile.

"Top secret," is her response, and the satyr pouts.

"Damn it."

"I'm sorry, Grover, it wasn't my choice."

"Now I just wanna know what it is even more."

"Surely you can spare us some details?" Annabeth asks.

(Y/N) sighs, leaning closer to the space between the tables. "I made an oath," she tells them, her voice low.

Grover's eyes go wide. "On second thought, please do not tell us."

She chuckles, "Yeah, I'm not planning on it."