Destiny

The winds of winter blow across my face, the cold nipping at my nose as I pull the scarf around my neck tighter. A small group of warriors walk by me, marching in unison as they don't spare me a glance, heading towards the front gate as I stand alone waiting for River. The events of the night before still play on repeat in my head, how River leaned in and closed the distance between us, kissing me. It did not go any further than that, but a part of me hoped it would, that perhaps we could have ended up back at my room.

Shaking my head, I try and get that thought out of my mind before River can get back here, not wanting to think of such things about a man I hardly know. Hell, I do not even know his last name, how could I want things to go further when I do not know these important things. Yet I have been with men whose names I can barely recall, parts of my past who I never think back to unless missing the warmth of someone beside me. I never had someone to call my own unless I count my on and off again high school boyfriend who left me when we graduated. I was still a child when I was with him no matter how mature I thought I was, for I thought when we graduated he would stay with me, that somehow the goddess would work out a way for us to remain together and in love when he would be states away. Yet he abounded me, as I should have faced the reality of, instead of hoping for something magical or romantic.

Looking over my shoulder, I spot the familiar face as the wind blows through my hair, tangling it into a hundred knots. Offering me a warm smile, River apologizes for having to run back in. The front gates of the palace pulls open, an echo spreading across the courtyard as they pull apart and reveal the road heading down the city. The two of us head forward, River leading the way as he keeps his promise of showing me the city on his pack land. With my hands dug deep into the pockets of my jacket, I follow the Alpha, heading down the brick road as we cross through the gates and the city is laid out before me. The townhouses are built from stone, reminding me of European homes with shops below, the homes each with a unique features and narrow as they stretch three stories high. Holiday decorations are strung across the town, creating a warmth and joy within the city, a few children running by with festive hats as River explains to me that at the end of the week, the traditional carnival will occur in the city center. We walk down to the city center, a circular opening in the city where silver and lilac ribbon is strung from the houses to the center of the circle where a lantern hangs from a post. lavender is strung around the post with silver string, a few men around the center hanging up more decorations of stars upon buildings.

"Very pretty," I comment, wondering which holiday they celebrate. Perhaps an elven one based upon the colors and the stars being put up. We continue through the center of the city and to the docks where we came in. "What does the festival celebrate?" 

"The creation of Eternal Shadows," River replies, looking out upon the docks where a few of the boats have begun to load up for the day. "We celebrate the joining of elf and wolf, the harmony which it created, and the future we have ahead of us." A few fishermen set sail past the gate, yelling at the sailors of the boat instructions as the waves crash into the side of the boat. 

"When was the pack formed?" I ask, curious just how old Eternal Shadows is. After all, Eternal Shadows just popped out of no where a few years ago as if it had been established for years. 

"A little over two decades," River informs, leading me past the docks as we head further away from the main city and towards the city chapels. The two chapels are separated by a small garden filled with flowers covered in a thin blanket of snow. The elves must have a form of magic which allows the flowers to survive in the cold. 

We walk closer to the chapel to the left, a silver moon painted over the marble doorways, a small group of women exiting the temple just as we talk in. "Who was the first Alpha?" I ask, curious as to who was able to keep this pack secret for so long. The entrance of the chapel is narrow, leading into an opening where a sculpture of the Moon Goddess is carved of marble, placed before a stained glass window with purple and white hues. A small fountain is carved into the marble floors, tiny candles placed on flowers floating in the fountain as they help to illuminate the statue of the Moon Goddess.