book 2 - chapter 6

"What the hell is going on?" I exclaim, rushing towards Korra, her Uncle, and the rest of them as I notice them looking at the Northern ships as well. Iroh and Asami are right behind me and I feel him take my hand as he stands next to me. I look up at him and he offers me a small yet comforting smile.

Korra gets off Naga, makes direct eye-contact with me, then turns to look at her Uncle. "What are all your Northern troops doing here?" She queries, looking awfully confused.

An eerie smile forms on Unalaq's face, making my stomach sink; I squeeze Iroh's hand so tight that I think I'm hurting him, and yet he doesn't let go of me. "Opening the spirit portal was only the first step in getting the Southern Water Tribe back on its righteous path. There's more difficult work to be done before our two tribes are truly united."

Korra turns around to look back at me and furrows her eyebrows. I know her; she must know that what her uncle is saying is complete insanity. I raise my eyebrows at her, asking her what she thinks, what she's going to do. She turns to get on Naga and leaves us behind, going towards her and her family's hut. I clench my jaw in complete and utter frustration. I breathe in deeply, trying to cope with everything that is going on. Korra really just left when it's confirmed that we are under an invasion.

"Unity is an interesting choice of words, Chief." I find myself saying with disdain. "I was thinking more along the lines of 'invading' or 'conquering' or maybe even 'colonizing.'"

Unalaq smirks at me. He doesn't say a word. He turns around his buffalo-yak and leaves without another word. He is immediately followed by Desna and Eska, which surprises no one, and leaves us behind. I feel everyone's eyes on me: Iroh, Asami, Mako, and Bolin are all looking at me with the same expression. An expression of concern. Or at least that's what I think they're conveying.

"Why are you all looking at me like that?" I query.

Asami stands next to me and puts her hand on my shoulder. "We're just concerned, this is a lot to take in right now."

I feel like screaming at the top of my lungs. I feel like running after that man and just beating him until I feel all the rage inside of me stop. I feel so frustrated and angered at everything. How could Korra be so apathetic? How could she just walk away when we are literally being invaded by our sister tribe? How can this man just think that he can do whatever he wants?

"I..." I begin but can't manage to say all of my thoughts out loud. "I need a moment."

Iroh squeezes my hand and turns to face me. "Do you want me to go with you?"

I nod. "Yeah but give me a second. I just need a few moments to let it out by myself, if that's okay."

He smiles at me. "It's more than okay. Just call me over when you need me."

I started taking a few steps away from them, to where I just need to scream or punch the snow or just lie in a ball and cry. I breathe in deeply, and when I'm some meters away from them, I feel someone pull me back by my arm. I turn around to see Mako.

"What's up?" I ask him. "Mako, this isn't really the best time."

"I just have a quick question." Mako explains.

I sigh. "Fine, but make it quick."

"Why were you and Iroh holding hands?" He queries, looking at me with furrowed eyebrows.

I blink a few times and stare at him blankly. "That's your question? Really?" He nods. "It's none of your business, Mako."

"Are you two dating?"