The Screaming Portraits

authors note: my wifi is so bad :') and i feel a little sorry for romilda...

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

January 5, 1994

As if the days weren't stressful enough already, Romilda Vane returned from holiday on Friday. Like a demon descending from hell.

She came back with the late crowd; the people who's parents wanted them to stay just a couple more days.

Elodie spotted her while walking to class with Fred, and promptly yanked him into a broom cupboard to avoid the shitstorm that would rain upon them if Romilda found out what had happened.

"I like where this is going..." Fred smirked down at her, wiping a cobweb from his hair.

Elodie rolled her eyes. "Absolutely not. Give it up, Weasley."

"Never." He grinned.

Elodie flicked a spider off his ear. She was secretly very glad he wasn't giving up on her and going back to Romilda, but she would never say that out loud.

"Why are we in here, again? Not that I'm not enjoying myself..."

"Hiding from your girlfriend." Elodie opened the door a crack, checking if Romilda was still there. Unfortunately she was, leaning casually against a wall and chatting to a couple of her friends.

"We could've just walked past her, you know..." Said Fred amusedly.

"You can't avoid all of your problems, Freddie."

"No, you can just hide in a broom cupboard from them." He teased. She punched his arm, frustrated with the knowledge that he was right.

"How were you planning on telling her, anyhow?" Elodie asked, sitting down on an old fruit crate. Fred settled down next to her, content about being late to Potions.

"I'd do a big sign. Like a banner across the great hall that says "Sorry, Romilda..." Fred joked, spreading his hands out wide as if to paint a picture of the scene. Elodie could picture it- and it wasn't pretty.

She shook her head, laughing. "She'd murder you."

"I think my chances of getting murdered are pretty high anyways, to be honest." He chuckled.

"Mm, true." Elodie agreed. "But really."

"I dunno! I thought the sign was a pretty good idea!" He protested.

Elodie nipped the top of his ear with her finger. "Wanker." Then as an afterthought, "tell her gently, and say you'd like to stay friends after." She advised. "And leave me out of it, for Aggripa's sake."

"What if she asks why I'm breaking up with her?"

"Tell her that you feel you were drifting apart..." Elodie said dramatically, motioning a heart breaking with her hands.

"What, lie?"

"Would you like me to live to see tomorrow, or not?!" Elodie said seriously.

Fred put a chivalrous arm around her. "I won't let her kill you, Els."

"I'd like to see you stop her." Elodie giggled. She was leaning into his embrace unwillingly, like his body was magnetized.

The door slammed open, the light blinding Elodie temporarily. The sudden brightness made the pain from the concussion spring back to her temples like a mousetrap to her skull.

"You bitch!"

"Well," Fred gulped, looking up at his girlfriend. "I guess theres no need for a banner now."