Camping (Kind Of)

author's note: happy new years! nothing but love, gratitude, and fireworks to people who read my book <3

𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁𐄙𐄁

January 6th, 1994- a continuation

Fred had been anxious to get outside-he didn't do well being cooped up indoors. And Elodie... well, Elodie wanted answers.

They strolled through the outskirts of the woods, feeling very nervous and covering it with silly banter. They must've been through twelve rounds of "git" "prig" "tosser" "twat" before Fred took the initiative and reminded her that she had wanted a conversation.

"Right." Elodie said. Her insides rustled like the leaves on the surrounding trees. "I have questions."

"I love questions." Fred grinned.

"Why'd you do it now?" Elodie said finally. "You had forever." It came out like a sigh, or a gasp for breath.

Fred looked at her surprisedly. "I did?"

This felt more like admitting something than it was supposed to.

"Yeah."

"Well, I didn't know that, did I?" He raised his eyebrows amusedly.

Elodie kicked the grass. "No, I guess not. But seeing as everyone had a betting ring going about us, it must've been pretty obvious..."

"Mm." Fred offered unhelpfully. "Not to me."

The two of them walked in silence for a little, listening to the quiet sounds of birds and wind.

"Why didn't you say anything to me?"

Elodie almost snorted. "Freddie,"

"What?!"

"Must I name all your... conquests? I didn't think you fancied me!"

"Wished they were all you." He grumbled under his breath.

It made Elodie's heart sink.

She chanced a look up at him. Sometimes, it felt like he could see what she was thinking just by looking into her eyes. She wished she could read his mind and understand all the reasons he had for doing what he did.

"Maybe in another life..." She whispered.

Fred's brown eyes darted daringly around her face. "I'm pretty attached to this one, thank you," He said confidently. "I'll make you fall for me again."

Idiot.

Elodie scoffed, averting her eyes. "Yeah, right."

Footsteps could be heard running behind them. "There you lot are!"

George grabbed his twin by the shoulder. "You'd better come, quickly."

"What?" Elodie frowned.

"Sirius Black." He said, with frenzied eyes. "He's in the castle."

Both Fred and Elodie froze. "What?"

Lee was right behind him. "The fat lady-he tore her to shreds-we're supposed to sleep in the great hall tonight." He said, all in one breath.

Fred and George stared at each other, like some unspoken conversation was happening between them. Maybe twin telepathy was a thing after all.

"Come on, lot." Lee urged. Elodie took a couple uncertain steps towards him.